NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Thresher gear - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Thresher gear

This is my first spring run with the boat and i have done a lot on the off season to prep, from getting rods and reels, to making a livewell out of a garbage can to hold some bunker. My big question is, what gear should i have it that glorious thresher tail pops up in the bunker school. I really want to catch one and enjoy some nice steaks. Any advice would be great like hook size leader size rod size reels size. Last year my first ever live lining experience so i am as green as they come. Also if I am luck enough to get one on the line any option other then a gun. Not all that comfortable with a gun on the water plus I'm sure there is a laundry list of rules and laws that go along with it. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:32 AM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Thresher gear

Hookset....stop by the shop ...we can set you up and " NOT BREAK THE BANK "...I have a couple of set up "s that would be good for you ..Pete...Atlantic Bait and Tackle...732-787-2248

Now located at
25 Route 36 East
Middletown NJ
Just passed CVS on Route 36 East

732-787-2248
Old 03-10-2013, 10:38 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks pete ill come by and introduce myself
Old 03-11-2013, 07:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

You can fish anything from an avet to a 50w if you feel the need, your best bet would be to net bunker, and then get off the pods and a little offshore of there, set out the shark rigs and start chunking bunker, i think your best shot will be close to and on the bottom, fish one bunker on the bottom and one 1/2 down if you want, and just wait, they are there in numbers and they will come!