NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

N.J. vs PA trout: - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-14-2018, 06:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: N.J. vs PA trout:

NJ, a smaller one of countless caught over the years, including one a few inches longer caught 2 weeks after this one not very far away in the same stream. Of course I catch many similar sized fish in both NY and PA so there's really no competition. About the only difference is the wild ones from the upper D and branches. You simply can't compare a 25 inch wild brown or 'bow to even a long-term holdover for fight, although some of the Kamloops strain 'bows that various clubs and groups stock from the Musky Trout Hatchery into several NJ waters will give a very close battle to the wild upper D 'bows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big bow 5-29_edited.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	120803  

Last edited by Dave B.; 03-14-2018 at 07:02 PM..
Old 03-15-2018, 12:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

very nice! how do you tell the difference between a kamloop strain? Did you see that big bow i got a few months ago? It didn't look like any rainbow i've ever caught before in either shape or color.

this is NJ by the way.

These are NJ too.

This is from PA.

https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 03-15-2018, 03:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B. View Post
NJ, a smaller one of countless caught over the years, including one a few inches longer caught 2 weeks after this one not very far away in the same stream. Of course I catch many similar sized fish in both NY and PA so there's really no competition. About the only difference is the wild ones from the upper D and branches. You simply can't compare a 25 inch wild brown or 'bow to even a long-term holdover for fight, although some of the Kamloops strain 'bows that various clubs and groups stock from the Musky Trout Hatchery into several NJ waters will give a very close battle to the wild upper D 'bows.
I'm not to sure about that many big bows I've taken have really fought hard , only a couple are slugs that I can remember ! I use to,own a resort on the upper D and many decent Browns I've taken in those waters did out fight my local big fish .
Pound for pound it's very close when u catch both in optimum water temps , I've taken many kamloops / Donaldson in NJ when NJ first stocked them in Spruce Run up to 20"'s or so . Not sure if there both same species
These local fish did not out fight my big bows at all , yet the ones I took in BC , these were tougher but a small one was about 5#'s !
These are my observations and I target big trout all the time .
Old 03-15-2018, 10:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Heheh, I know you land more than your share of bigguns Lou! Regarding your Donaldsons/Kamloops question, different strains. The Kamloops tend to be VERY fast and very often quite acrobatic/aerobatic similar to fresh run steelhead, even when just freshly stocked from a hatchery. As for the upper D and branches, those browns up there are just simply bruisers as you well know! Pure brute power in those animals!

Chrisper, I do recall that pic you posted some time ago of a very silvery 'bow. It did appear to me to be a Kamloops or mix thereof. They generally have that silvery appearance regardless of the water they're in, and while they tend to have a bit of a tall body such as the 'bow in your pic, they're yet thinner left to right, and as I mentioned above generally put up quite a fight, often going airborne. You may encounter them frequently in the middle to lower Musky since a fair number are stocked there every year. As well many of the 'bows that Shannons stocks in the SBR are Kamloops strain since they usually get their fish from the Mancini's Musky Trout Hatchery between Asbury and Bloomsbury.
Luv the big wild brown pics! Between you, Eddie and a few others here you gents have them dialed in pretty damned good IMHO! Keep up the great catching!