NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

new waders - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-29-2018, 04:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default new waders

i can't stop the leaking on my old neoprene boot waders so i'm going to upgrade to a neoprene sock / wading boot style. I'm not interested in any bells and whistles. Only interested in it not restricting me or leaking after a couple of uses haha.

After looking a bit, it seems like i can get the waders and boots for a total of under $200-$250 looking at the compass and frogg togg brands a few different models.

anyone want to bash either of these or make any suggestions before i make a purchase
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 01-29-2018, 05:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: new waders

I absolutely love my Cabelas neoprene waders.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I don’t wear the neoprene waders. The Frogg Toggs are a great brand though. If they last a couple seasons than you got your money’s worth. I like the breathable light weight ones. They’re just more comfortable!
Old 01-29-2018, 06:31 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

You sure you want neos and not breathables ? They really dont keep you that much warmer except when its warm out then you're sweating your ass off. Oversize your breathables and layer up make sure you oversize the boots also.
Cabelas from what I have heard do not honor the replacements as they use to but LLBean does. Whatever brand you get just make sure you get a good quality breathable.
Personally I have Dan Bailey's but then arent cheap.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm brutal on waders (briars, sticks, falls, barbed wire, more falls), used to get a year or so out of Cabelas or Hodgemans. Finally bit the bullet and bought the lowest end model Simms breathables. I know fancy, over priced, yupster but I had them 10 years with only 1 aqua seal job.now my son has them. They more than paid for themselves 2x over. Steep front end price but you make up for it with less overall purchases.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

+1 for simms. Had frequent leaks with cheaper neoprene waders. Was going through about one a year. Got simms and the quality is far more superior. Its been three years so far and I am very satisfied. I did have one issue, while walking the area between my knees would rub and after awhile it created a small hole. Sent them in during the summer and they repaired for free.

Oh and I purchased them on sale. They are pricey but I believe I got like $100 off.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:22 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMC View Post
You sure you want neos and not breathables ? They really dont keep you that much warmer
So if you’re standing in 35 degree water for two hours in January paper thin breathable waders are just as warm as 5mm neoprene’s? I fish all winter and my legs never get cold wearing the neoprene’s.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:19 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Smile Re: new waders

Been steelhead fishing in some of the nastiest weather in breathables just need to layer up. He didnt say he wanted winter waders. Breathables are much better for all conditions just look at how many guys steelhead fishing are wearing breathables. Remember sweating in really cold weather is the worst thing you can do. But if you like neos thats great they have their place. If I was going to sit in a boat or duck blind and not walk around I
would go with neos.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:48 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMC View Post
Been steelhead fishing in some of the nastiest weather in breathables just need to layer up. He didnt say he wanted winter waders. Breathables are much better for all conditions just look at how many guys steelhead fishing are wearing breathables. Remember sweating in really cold weather is the worst thing you can do. But if you like neos thats great they have their place. If I was going to sit in a boat or duck blind and not walk around I
would go with neos.
I totally agree, I used to fish in the same Neos that I use for waterfowl hunting and ended up switching out for some breathable lightweight LLBean waders and some Orvis boots. I just layer up and they are fine. Fished for steelhead on the Lake Ontario tribs in late November and was perfectly warm. Also I don't feel nearly as tired at the end of a long day of fishing with a lot of hiking between spots.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:10 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Gator Waders because they sell them in a leopard print.