NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tagged bluefin turns up 7 years later in farm - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:31 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Tagged bluefin turns up 7 years later in farm

This tuna's journey's pretty cool. After being tagged in Basque Country at 1 it travels across Atlantic at least twice before being caught 7 years later in a purse seine and transported to a fish farm.

It's got to be tough for a fish to avoid capture its whole life?

http://www.app.com/story/sports/outd...ught/70496968/
Old 03-26-2015, 06:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Tagged bluefin turns up 7 years later in farm

There have been several tag returns from bluefin that have been caught in the western Atlantic and were captured in Mediteranean waters. In the 90's the NMFS was giving out tags to use on pelagics. i used them to tag and release school bluefin in the ocean off Manasquan Inlet for several years back then. Several years ago I received a letter that one of my tags was turned in from a boat fishing near Spain. It was 9 years after the tuna was released and had grown to 325lbs. At the time there were very few tag returns . This proves that our bluefin mix with Eastern atlantic tunas. Over the last decade there have been other tag returns I'm sure but little of this info has caught my eye. Thanks for the post
Old 03-28-2015, 08:34 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Tagged bluefin turns up 7 years later in farm

Thanks for the post. I love when scientific study is applied to the fisheries