NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

3/21 Fishermans Ralley Report - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 3/21 Fishermans Ralley Report

Sportie , sorry I didn't get back sooner . I was just Emailing Governer Christie . We had this discussion last time . I feel that us being there helped our cause . More Politicians were there and peta even showed . I would think that the second time will also show dividends . We will see .
Old 03-22-2012, 02:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

pete .... did u get the mermaids #
Old 03-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfishingusa
Well ol pedro, it seems that by sitting on the sidelines and making my comments is getting just about as much done as closing down business and taking a 4 hour ride to washington.. I can sit here and send emails threatening each member of congress, house, and my local reps about my vote, but frankly, they dont give a hoot, it is they either care or they dont, there is no in between my friend.
You keep telling yourself that. Excuses to not get involved are like *******s. Everbody's got one and they all stink.

Whatever lets you sleep at night.

Not getting involved allows someone like you to claim that getting involved does nothing. You get out exactly what you give, and you give nothing.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Good day Sir!!

I just love that attitude, if we where all like _______, than nothing would get done. Me myself and I have been involved and find that progress is being made. To have members of Congress take the time to help move us forward, and for them to realize what this is all about is more progress than ______ would have accomplished>

Jakesdad
Old 03-22-2012, 03:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Well ol pedro, it seems that by sitting on the sidelines and making my comments is getting just about as much done as closing down business and taking a 4 hour ride to washington.. I can sit here and send emails threatening each member of congress, house, and my local reps about my vote, but frankly, they dont give a hoot, it is they either care or they dont, there is no in between my friend.

I dont want to see shut downs, i dont want to see the industry hurt, i have a ton of friends in the industry, but unfortunately there is really nothing that this rally is doing. The areas are still being closed, the west coast still took a beating, florida still lost grouper and reds and it is just on and on and on.. The government is more powerful than every single fisherman in the world, and unless they are on our side from the start, my thoughts are we continue to pee pee in the 50kt winds!!!!

like i said, i will send emails and i sign petitions as needed, but i see no need to go listen to a bunch of politically driven POS talk on a stage that want nothing but to see their numbers increase in the national or local level poll numbers. Unfortunately, thats all they are doing.

Everyone is entitiled to their opions on this situation, i stress mine a lot because im sick of the bullshit about all these guys giving me crap about not going, not being helpful, how your not a good person if you dont do your part... Well sorry to say, whoever went and did their so=called "part" did nothing but take a vacation day, close down shop, and walk around in washington HOPING FOR CHANGE.. People hoped for change with obama, all you got was a damn waste of time and downward spiral of the country.

I hope things can start to go in favor one day, but i also have my reservations on "bad science" so ill keep that to myself as well.

The reasons areas are being CLOSED and all the losses going on in the fishing communities is to many are taking YOUR example and sitting on their ass doing nothing until its too late..

If people got more involved there might be something for the children of tomorrow to fish for, the way its going the only fishing they will see will be paintings on the wall from years gone by.

Very simple, we all know that the only way polititions really take a stand is either money or votes.
sitting home did nothing for either of them.

Visual stimulas def goes way further than sending emails that will probably not be read or answered , or if answered are from an aid of the rep you sent it to.

Show up with 10000 people or more draws media attention , and the attention of other states senators about what is going on outside their state.

Think about it unless someone puts it in front of them , do you think guys in Ohio , Iowa or Montana give a hoot about the ocean fishery we have here. No but put it front page and they may actually help a senatore here in favor of something they need out there.

each person who could have gone( and I understand some couldnt) that didnt just put another nail in the fishermans coffin instead of helping keep them alive.
So dont sit back now and make exuses and say oh I have friends in the business and dont want to see them hurt,
If thats what you consider a friend im glad mine our different as they try to help you out instead of watching you go down.

and you know why hope and change hasnt worked in the USA,
because guys sat at home letting an INCOMPETANT president run us into the ground after putting thier faith in the wrong person.

Sitting home now leaving NOAA do the same thing with our fisheries is the same thing, as they are just as incompetant.

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 03-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
I can sit here and send emails threatening each member of congress, house, and my local reps about my vote, but frankly, they dont give a hoot, it is they either care or they dont, there is no in between my friend.
In reality, Politicians (at least many of them...I won't assume it is every single one of them) will care most about whatever gets them in office and subsequently keeps them in office.

If a politician does not support something and believes the bulk of his/her constituency will agree (or at least a majority of those that vote will agree) then he or she has no reason to change their position. Once a politician realizes that their position is an unpopular one they either change their position or lose their seat of power.

There is most certainly an in-between. If there ever was an area of life that was NOT black and white it would be politics. I am surprised you did not know that.

Money is often the driving force in politics not because it is money, but because money gives the ability to gain votes. Not so much with buying votes (although I've no doubt that happens too) but with the ability to campaign and out do the other guy/girl. If group "A" gives money to a politician they will expect their policies/positions to be supported by that politician. In return group "A" will get their members/supporters to support that politician. If group "B" has more members/supporters and they make it known to the politician that he/she will lose those votes if they do not support group "B's" position that is about the only way you can override the money/votes/support of group "A."

This is basic politics, I am surprised you don't understand this.

Quote:
I dont want to see shut downs, i dont want to see the industry hurt, i have a ton of friends in the industry, but unfortunately there is really nothing that this rally is doing.
Politicians will not likely support a position that does not have popular support. Again, we are back to "which position gets me the most support/votes?"

The first Rally was designed to get political support for certain positions and translate them into legislation. That happened, especially as evidenced by the expansion of legislation introduced AFTER the first rally aimed at specific issues in fisheries.

The second rally sought to increase the level of legislative support so as to move that legislation towards adoption. This also happened, at least to some degree, as evidenced by the increased legislators that came out publicly in favor of those pieces of legislation.

By having fewer people in attendance it hurts the ability to convince even more legislators that this is what the millions (or a large part of the millions) of anglers in the US wants. That is how poor attendance can subvert the goals of a rally such as the one that took place yesterday.

Quote:
The areas are still being closed, the west coast still took a beating, florida still lost grouper and reds and it is just on and on and on..
Of course, only a fool would think that everything will either go their way or it won't. Again with this black and white view of the world. Convenient, but hardly realistic. If you lose 50% of the time you still won the other 50%. If you win 90% of the time you will still lose the other 10% of the time. Does that mean it was better to not try and win at all because you did not get every single thing you wanted?

You ignore (or conveniently forgot to mention) the closures that were stopped, the fisheries that were kept open (but were threatened with further restrictions or closures) etc.

I have yet to meet the person or group that wins 100% of what they want 100% of the time. Let me know when you find that group or person.

Quote:
The government is more powerful than every single fisherman in the world, and unless they are on our side from the start, my thoughts are we continue to pee pee in the 50kt winds!!!!
The government is on the "side" that will get them re-elected. If you cannot prove you have the numbers then you will lose. Not showing up helps show a lack of interest (read: a lack of numbers)

Quote:
like i said, i will send emails and i sign petitions as needed, but i see no need to go listen to a bunch of politically driven POS talk on a stage that want nothing but to see their numbers increase in the national or local level poll numbers. Unfortunately, thats all they are doing.
It is not about listening to them, you obviously do not understand this very well. Let me try to explain. If they are going to come out publicly saying they support our position then it is likely because they realize that if they do not they may pay the consequences come election time. When they come to speak it is to affirm the fact that they know that we know where they stand.

You are not there to listen to them, you are there to make sure that they have been listening to us.

Last edited by CaptTB; 03-22-2012 at 06:22 PM..
Old 03-22-2012, 05:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thank you Capt TB, Dave A and the others that made this possible. I too was disappointed with the fishermanturnout especially from our area but surprised as hell to see how many more of the politicians were there to support us compared to 2 years ago. I will continue to support our rights to the oceans, and do whats necessary to keep us, our children, and grandchildren doing something that we all love and our god given right. Thanks again to all that made this event happen and to those who made it to this event.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENEGADE
We attended today and as reported the attendance was light. Not sure where most with any interest in fishing could possibly be. If you can take a day off to go fishing why not take a day off to listen to attend and protect your sportfish investment? If not for you maybe your kids? For $10 what a deal. Very sad on the attendance.

Don’t worry when NOAA / NMFS shut down the east coast like they have done in the state of California then it will be too late, you’re not getting it back. Trust us its coming and booze cruises and rafting excurses in the back bay on your high powered sportfish's are not going to cut it. Wake up this crap is real and this situation sucks!

Thank you to the RFA, Bogans and Dave at The Reel Seat for organizing all this. Sometimes only 1% can get it done.
Agree.....i'm sure there was some people took off from work today to go fishing, instead of taking off yesterday to support the cause..SAD...
Old 03-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Site Sponsor

Did anyone think the crumbling us economy is the reason for the lack of support at the march .....I personally could not afford to close my business for a day and pay my mate and store workers to march in DC ...
43' Egg Harbor SF 25 Kt cruise Heat & Ac
Canyon River Club Marina Slip #1 407 Channel Drive Point Pleasant Beach New Jersey 08742
Jersey Hooker Outfitters
2016 HWY 88 Brick New Jersey 08724 ( 1/4 Mile East Of VanZile Road).

OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK
Mon-Thurs 8am - 6pm
Fri-Sat 6am-6pm
Sun 6am-4pm

Check Out Our New E-Commerce Website www.Jerseyhooker.com
Old 03-22-2012, 08:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyHooker.Com
Did anyone think the crumbling us economy is the reason for the lack of support at the march .....I personally could not afford to close my business for a day and pay my mate and store workers to march in DC ...
Most involved in the march lost a days pay yesterday. trying to stop the fishing community from crumbling even more than it already has.

very few that were there were getting paid/
I didnt see anyone say you needed to close your shop, but someone who has a great deal to lose if things get any worse can send 1 person to represent them.

If just 1 person from each boat and tackle shop had shown up , maybe we would not have to march again, as just gaining the press coverage by there being alot of people there could have made a difference.

/

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club