NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Out of state boaters in NJ waters... - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 07-09-2018, 11:31 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Out of state boaters in NJ waters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
Bob,

You know you can take the NY class totally online with BoaterExam.Com or Boat-Ed.Com for $30-35 and get a lifetime card from Parks Dept? Unlike NJ you can take the whole course on your computer including the final exam. 50 Questions, passing grade 76%.

It's much easier than the NJ course and perfect for you.
Thats good to know.. Things must have changed, because when I first started checking into this a few years back, online only classes were not available.. It was in class only, and where I live they are rarely available most were in the larger cities hours from here, and only at certain times.. Thanks for that information... bob
Old 07-10-2018, 10:09 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Out of state boaters in NJ waters...

Bob,

I've taught NYS at the West Marine Store in West Haverstraw since 2012. The all internet option was added in late 2015. It killed the classroom stuff in NY. I used to do monthly classes there and now I'm lucky to cover the State min class size of 6 students just twice a year.

Its bad.

In NJ(taught since 2006) they can take the internet course but must do final in person. It used to be most did class over internet. Now it's about 8 internet students to 1 classroom student.

I think you get more bang for your buck asking questions and getting explanations on why. That's not the case anymore.

Its getting it done with I guess? I add chart reading and heavy seas boat handling in my classes. Not tested but you should know just the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Thats good to know.. Things must have changed, because when I first started checking into this a few years back, online only classes were not available.. It was in class only, and where I live they are rarely available most were in the larger cities hours from here, and only at certain times.. Thanks for that information... bob
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber