NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

A note from Congressman Garrett and my response. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default A note from Congressman Garrett and my response.

Congressman Garrett,

Thank you for keeping me up to date on legislation pertaining to recreational fishermen. I understand that you are not able to personally consider S. 858. However, I’m sure that you have relationships with peers in the Senate who will be considering it. I trust that you will offer your input to your peers, on behalf of your constituents, at appropriate times.

Thank you,

Jonathan Mueller

From: Rep. Scott Garrett [mailto:scott.garrett@mail.house.gov]
Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 5:10 PM
To: Jon
Subject: Responding to your message

Dear Mr. Mueller:

Knowing of your interest in the National Oceans Protection Act of 2009 (S.858), specifically its provisions relating to recreational fishing, I would like to take the opportunity to update you on this important legislation.

S. 858 was introduced by Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) on April 22, 2009. If enacted, this bill would establish a national ocean, coastal, and Great Lakes policy, in addition to a National Ocean Advisor and Council on Ocean Stewardship in the Executive Office of the President. These initiatives would secure, for present and future generations, the full range of environmental, economic, educational, and recreational benefits of healthy ocean and Great Lakes ecosystems. S. 858 has been referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation for further review.

Representing a district that contains rural townships and a number of state and national parks, outdoor recreation such as fishing is a common activity enjoyed by many of my constituents. To that end, I understand the important role recreational fishing plays in preserving the ecological health of New Jersey's natural water ways and marine wildlife. As Congress works to enhance these environmental necessities for future generations, I believe it is imperative that policy makers consult and incorporate the expertise of the fishing community.

While my position as a Representative in the U.S. House of Representatives does not afford me the opportunity to consider Senate bill S. 858, I do appreciate you bringing this issue to my attention. Moving forward in the 111th Congress, please know that your correspondence is important to me and that I value the benefit of your views. Should legislation concerning recreational fishing and its role in marine conservation come to the House floor for a vote, I will consider it with your thoughts in mind.

Thank you for contacting me. Should you have any further questions or comments about this or any legislative issue, please do not hesitate to contact me in my Washington D.C. office at (202) 225-4465. Also, please visit my website at www.house.gov/garrett to sign up for my newsletter for the latest updates.

Sincerely,

Scott Garrett
Member of Congress
Old 01-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: A note from Congressman Garrett and my response.

Jon,
Were you asking him for Support of this bill or questioning him on it???
Old 01-09-2010, 01:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1captainron
Jon,
Were you asking him for Support of this bill or questioning him on it???
His letter was in response to me filling out some of those canned emails to our congressman. My response to him was not meant to address this specific bill. It was to very nicely let him know that I understand that Washington is a relationship dynamic and just because he doesn't get to vote on this issue, doesn't mean he can't still represent his constituents' concerns amongst his peers in the Senate.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ron and Jon,
I think the bill he was referring to is what Ron, Tony and I know as Oceans of Abundunce or Oceans of Jellyfish. The study behind this bill is being paid for by PEW. This bill refers to catch shares and does nothing to prevent the little guy from getting pushed out of business. All it does is have the government auction off quotas in all areas for which they receive payment. This is not the fix we need !!

Henry