NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Saltwater Conventional Rod Recommendations - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 04-12-2018, 11:56 AM
Banned

Default Saltwater Conventional Rod Recommendations

I am looking for some help and recommendation for conventional rods. I have Penn Fathom's models 25N, 40N, and 60 all 2 speed two of each model. First I do have 3 Penn Battle II 4000 Spinning Reel Combo, 7 Feet, 1pcs, Medium Power, I also have 3 Penn Battle II 6000 Spinning Reel Combo, 7 Feet, 1pcs, Medium Heavy. I just bought my boat a 22’ Sea Pro Center Console w/ 200hp Johnson and have tons of money into it already with new Simrad GO9 XSE W/ TotalScan, & new Bennett 1212atp Hydraulic Trim Tabs W/Auto Trim Pro. So my budget would be around $150 each rod for now. Again I have Penn Fathom's models 25N, 40N, and 60 all 2 speed two of each model. I will be fishing for everything Tuna, Wahoo, Dolphin, Grouper, Shark, Stripers, Amberjack, etc. I will be primarily fishing NJ, DE, MD coastal waters. I plan on fishing up to 40 miles off the coast. Any information and recommendations are welcomed! Thanks Ross
Old 04-12-2018, 12:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Saltwater Conventional Rod Recommendations

Kevin Bogan, Fish Poison Rods is a site sponsor and will build you some beautiful custom rods. I have a few of his rods and they are my favorite rods to fish with. Just something nice about having a custom rod that you know was hand made by a local craftsman. Talk to Kevin before you buy an off the shelf rod, you will be glad you did.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:36 PM
Banned

Any thoughts on Penn Rampage Boat Rods and the Penn Rampage Jigging Rods? OR even the Penn Ally Boat Rods I really like these but would like thoughts?
Old 04-12-2018, 10:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosssnyder View Post
Any thoughts on Penn Rampage Boat Rods and the Penn Rampage Jigging Rods? OR even the Penn Ally Boat Rods I really like these but would like thoughts?
I'm fishing the Rampage jigging rods in the 30/80 and 50/100 for jigging tuna using a 40 N

I use the 26N on my black rods that are over 7'6" as they balance well on the rods around 8 foot

I fish the ALLY series with the squall 30 wides and 50's
for trolling tuna

would think the right rod in the ally series to match the 60 you posted would be the MODEL # ALLBW2050C66 as I think the 3080 would be a little too heavy for dolphin etc.

That being said, 40 miles off in a 22 Sea pro your going to need to pick your days.
I had a 24' sea pro and some of the rides home were rough.

Be safe and have fun

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 04-12-2018, 10:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I second the Kevin Bogan recommendation. I have one of his Fish Poison rods and it is flat out awesome to fish with. If you have never had one in your hands you really need to give them a look in my opinion. Supporting a great local guy is icing on the cake too. Best of luck with what ever you decide and congrats on the boat. All the best with her.