NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Sea Bass Rig - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 05-13-2018, 11:17 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Sea Bass Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardrf View Post
What is a hi/low with "dropper" at the bottom. You mention a teaser above the Ava might increase snagging. Wouldn't 't Ava get caught not teaser.
Thanks
Two dropper loops for hooks 18"+ apart and a loop via surgeons knot at the bottom for your sinker. Make a large enough loop to get your sinker thru.

Teaser above ava will increase snagging as it's an additional hook. Pretty straightforward
Old 05-14-2018, 08:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

jigging the ava works just as well anchored as it dose drifting.right now the sea bass are feeding on 3-5 inch sand eels that are hear but will be heading north as the water temps rise.i prefer to use the ava-27 alone with 20-30lb mono tied direct to the jig.the reason i like the the 20 to 30lb line is because there may be some stripers,blues and blackfish{jigged a 11.4 tog on a plain ava}.some like to put a teaser 2ft above the jig which works good also.just make sure the teaser
matches the sand eels.with the jig every day is different.some days they want it yo-yoed,some days a slow steady retrieve and some like the reel and stop.also remember the sea bass will swim up off the bottom.it is not uncommon to have them hit a jig 25-30ft up off the bottom.it takes a bit to figure them out but once you do you will be glad you did.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I PUT 6/0 baitholder 2-3 feet above the jig. I put a gulp sandeel on it. Cast out and reel slow along the bottom. I don't get vicious strikes You just feel some extra weight then swing. Game on. Many doubles like this!
Old 05-17-2018, 06:50 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Most replies mention sand eels. Is it worth buying some sand eels instead of using clam bait?
Old 06-13-2018, 09:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I tie my seabass rig to a barrel swivel then directly to the braid. No topshot. Works perfect. Never once had the line break at the braid. If I use a diamond jig I like a three foot leader connected with a barrel swivel.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardrf View Post
Most replies mention sand eels. Is it worth buying some sand eels instead of using clam bait?
you can try I suppose, but I did and it was total waste.. The seabass would not touch them that day, while clams got nailed all day..The captain of the boat I was fishing on told me that they were preserved with Formaldahyde and were useless.. Not sure about that, but I'll never buy frozen sand eels for sea bass bait again... bob