NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Boarding My boat - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 07-11-2018, 05:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Boarding My boat

Where I keep my rig there is about a three foot tidal change, At high tide I pull the boat back to the dock and its not too bad getting on and off, BUT at low tide it sucks! Now I have a swim platform which helps, I have twin motors on a bracket which means I can't pull in too close or I'll bang up the cowlings, NO GOOD. The only real solution I think would be a finger between myself and my neighbor, Highly unlikely. Is there any ideas out there I'm missing?? There is a slimy stepped ladder that can get me down at low tide,but that is pretty tough to turn around on to board. Oh and by the way I love where I'm docked besides the stated. Anyone , Beuhler? I need a feeking gang plank or something!!
Old 07-12-2018, 08:07 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Boarding My boat

Hmmm been in your situation before and unfortunately there’s no easy fix. Most
in your situation tie up bow in to avoid the long reach to board from the back caused by the engines. That’s not a great solution either depending how your bow is configured. Take a pic of your boat in the slip and maybe others can make suggestions.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 07-13-2018, 10:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I think your last sentence is the answer... you need a plank... and you could even counter weight it to make lowering and raising even easier with the right pulley set up, or just tie a rope to a ring eye...pics would definitely help...
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 07-13-2018, 10:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Had that situation in Shark River. The dock at high tide was two feet above the river. That had a 5 foot drop. Was side and transom boarding. But the river height was too much of a drop.

There was no getting around it. Standing on transom reaching UP to pull a heavy cooler full of ice off the dock TOTALLY SUCKED.

The ramp only works if it's long to make it gradual enough no to be dangerous. Even a 12x2" plank weighs a ton and will still bow if too long.

It's tough slip. Use the floating dock to get the heavy stuff into and the not so spry passengers on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Hmmm been in your situation before and unfortunately there’s no easy fix. Most
in your situation tie up bow in to avoid the long reach to board from the back caused by the engines. That’s not a great solution either depending how your bow is configured. Take a pic of your boat in the slip and maybe others can make suggestions.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber