NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Why do we tip the mates? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Why do we tip the mates?

First let me say that I am not a mate, have never been a mate, and have no personal friends or relatives who are or ever have been mates. I am a regular customer on a party boat in AH who also sometimes fishes on other boats from other ports, both party and charter. I can't help but be bothered by people who don't tip or under tip the mates. We all know these guys because they net our fish, (and usually measure the ones that easily short just so we don't have to wonder), untangle our messes that our often our own fault, and filet our keepers when we have some. But let's note some other things that may be not as obvious, especially if you are an occasional fisherman or part of a group or family outing. Helping you carry your coolers and tackle on to the deck and off after the trip is one that shouldn't missed. But have you ever thought about how much work is done before you even get to the boat? Rental rods and reels are prepared and repaired by the mates, not by elves in the middle of the night. The rigs on these are often hand tied by the crew. Want a cold beverage or a snack? It's the mates who lug the ice, drinks, and snacks to the boat and keep them cold for your pleasure. The next time you board a party boat take note of how clean it is and remember the filthy mess that was probably there after the previous trip. It's clean when you got there because somebody busted their ass cleaning it. Every day. Are you tripping over ropes, nets, anchors etc? No your not because the mates are making sure the deck stays organized. These boats are loaded with safety features such as life vests, life rings, and life boats. Would you know what to do in an emergency? The mates are there for you. And don't forget the small talk, fishing tips, and the help given to rookies of all ages. They work in blazing heat, freezing cold and all kinds of foul weather. Most of these guys are employed full time and are true pros, not part timers just there for the summer. (Of course there is some summer help but that doesn't make the job easy for them either.) So listen, when you go to a restaurant would you leave a 3$ tip on a 42$ tab? Or a 5$ tip on a 65$ dollar tab? I hope not. And if you are lucky enough to win a pool remember that you might have missed that fish if these guys missed the details. It's just my opinion but a $20 tip on a $300 pool is not good enough. After all it's found money while having a good time. We are all working for a living and want to be paid what we're worth. So keep in mind what went in to your good time and leave a reasonable tip.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Why do we tip the mates?

Glad to see that your post did not fully match the title. I was ready to throwdown. As for tipping, I would much rather have a higher all inclusive fare with no tipping because the mates are being paid a good daily wage, but the majority have decided that the current system of lower wages plus tips is preferable.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thumbs up Re: Why do we tip the mates?

well said!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukenstein
...a $20 tip on a $300 pool is not good enough.
That is very shabby indeed. Poorly done.

-roger
Old 07-07-2013, 07:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

So how much is enough for a $300 pool?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Pool that size, I usually give a third. Most of my pools tend to be less than $100, so I usually just take back some gas money. I would think 20%-25% is acceptable for a good sized pool.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:55 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

20% at least
Old 07-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Banned

F*****g A Right. Unfortunately the only people who will read this thread are fishermen, not the typical skinflint summer mo-mo most responsible for walking off the boat after the mate busts his ass untangling his families mess all day long and making sure his kids have fun and stay safe.

As for the fishermen who WILL read this post, and I use the term fishermen very, very loosely, and still stiff the mate or tip a paltry sum for an honest days work I say this: you are cheap scum. That work ain't easy and you will never send a kid to college on a mates pay or get health insurance either. Pony up you cheap bastards, even if you don't catch a keeper. It's called fishing for a reason.

15-20% is standard when you go out to eat and you are only there for an hour or so having plates and drinks brought to you. Even just a half day trip is over 4 hours and working deck is a hell of a lot harder than carrying plates and placing orders. (I'm not taking anything away from waiters/waitresses/bartenders. They have their own special hell to deal with too) Don't you think mates deserve the same consideration? I sure as hell do and tip accordingly and so should everyone. Don't like the service? Don't go back and find another boat. Plain and simple. No excuses cheapskates!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I think the tip should be based on the fare, not the pool. 20% minimum. And if you happen to win the pool? go an extra $20.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by tautog
Pool that size, I usually give a third. Most of my pools tend to be less than $100, so I usually just take back some gas money. I would think 20%-25% is acceptable for a good sized pool.
We're almost exactly on the same page. I think 20% on the fare is pretty standard, let alone the pool. Certainly is expected in a restaurant and mates work harder and longer than waiters.