NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

More Questions - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:00 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default More Questions

So the more we fish the more we learn and the more questions we have. We actually tried the upper lake at the Ramapo Reservation in Sunday and although we did not catch I do have a couple of questions as a result of that session.

What can I do to get the worm to sink faster, I use the wacky rig and want the worm to sink faster, I'm having trouble knowing when it's hitting the lake bed.

I am thinking about getting another rod and reel so I can have it tackled up with different gear , the reel I think I will get would probably be the more expensive FI reel, I'd like a smother cast and retrieve, what about rod, if you were to suggest a bass road what would you advise ?

I knew I get bitten by the bass bug
Old 04-22-2013, 01:18 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: More Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyRS6
So the more we fish the more we learn and the more questions we have. We actually tried the upper lake at the Ramapo Reservation in Sunday and although we did not catch I do have a couple of questions as a result of that session.

What can I do to get the worm to sink faster, I use the wacky rig and want the worm to sink faster, I'm having trouble knowing when it's hitting the lake bed.

I am thinking about getting another rod and reel so I can have it tackled up with different gear , the reel I think I will get would probably be the more expensive FI reel, I'd like a smother cast and retrieve, what about rod, if you were to suggest a bass road what would you advise ?

I knew I get bitten by the bass bug
I'm not sure if you want the worm to sink quicker. I'm not a big worm fisherman, but my understanding of the wacky rig is that you want it to sink slowly as that's how you get the action on the worm that gets the fish to bite.

If I'm wrong, I'm certain that one of the more knowledgeable posters here will correct me.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I put small split shots or use a wacky jig head.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:29 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Gotcha, just needs enoug weight so you can feel the bottom.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

and I often use weedless hook not to get snagged.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Some guys take small nails and push them into the worm for extra weight and extra wackiness. You really don't want them too heavy though. A lighter worm will take longer to sink, and that's usually when the bass will crush it.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 04-22-2013, 01:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

You could try fishing the worm the "traditional" way with a worm weight if you prefer to feel it bouncing along the bottom. Just google "worm weight" and you'll see the sinkers used.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:06 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks for the tips guys. If anyone could advise on a rod that would be superb as well
Old 04-22-2013, 02:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

For a wacky set up, I use a Fenwick 6'6" Medium light fast spinning rod with a Pflueger Purist 1325. I use 2 or 4 lb mono line with 10"-12" 6 lb fluroro lead.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:35 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I can visualise how that would work nicely, what about if I'm using a lure! Same rod or would I need something a bit for beefy ?