NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

DIY Cooler converted to Livewell - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default DIY Cooler converted to Livewell

Hi All,

I had a quick question in regards to converting a cooler into a livewell.

I have been trying to find a cooler that is around 32qts that I can convert to a livewell to carry herring when fishing in local lakes. I have already bought an aerator https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am just worried that I get a cooler that will leak from the lid when transporting in my car from the bait shop to the lake.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-08-2016, 10:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: DIY Cooler converted to Livewell

How far is bait shop from lake? What size bait will you be transporting?
Old 08-08-2016, 11:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you want a leak proof cooler, you may have to spring for a roto molded cooler. They ain't cheap though. One that might be affordable is the 30 quart Engel cooler/dry box. It is $64 on Amazon. It has a rubber gasket and latches and should prevent spills. I use it in my boat as a dry box, and it keeps the water out, so I assume it will keep the water in as well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MQ1QY92...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by briansnat; 08-08-2016 at 11:14 PM..
Old 08-09-2016, 07:46 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I have a 19 engel dry box and converted it to a live well. Here in Florida I keep shrimp live for hours. No problem keeping 50 alive. The water that is from bait shop is cool and it stays cool all day.

The 2 D battery size bubbler works great and the battery live is good.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks Guys,

I ended up speaking with someone I know at a local bait shop and was told that I could keep about 3 dozen herring alive in a 5g bucket with an aerator and a little bit of salt all day long so I just converted an old salt mix bucket I had for my saltwater tank that has a locking sealed top. I drilled a hole up on the top rim to insert the aerator hose so I can open and close the lid without removing the stone. I tested for leaks and all is good!

I now just need to test the theory of how many I can actually keep alive if out of the sun and frequent water changes.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ive kept 2 dozen herring in a 5 gallon bucket for about 6 hours with good results. Used an aerator and added frozen water bottles with tap water(in the water bottle because the chlorine can harm them). Did not change the water once.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I made a livewell out of a 10 gallon round water cooler with a screw on top. I modified it quite a bit and plumbed it into my boat and put a flip up hatch on top. The plumbing is pretty complicated but I can run fresh water in or recirculate and filter the water. It has an overflow drain that keeps the water a couple inches from the top when pumping in fresh water as long as I have the valve set right to limit the water going in a bit. I also run an air pump and airstone. It works good I kept almost a dozen herring alive for about a week and a half by changing out a few gallons or water a day and adding some kosher salt to the water...Charlie
Old 08-20-2016, 10:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Drill a hole in the side of the cooler about an inch and a half to two inches from the top. Put aerator hose through with stone inside (obviously). Fashion a strap on the outside of the cooler using small short screws and suitable, slightly rigid material allowing the bubble box to hang as if clipped to a bucket. To minimize leaking during transport just bungee the lid down. Cheap, easy and effective.

I picked up a 28 qt at a yard sale and did this. I use it for herring, sunnies, shiners, suckers, chubs and goldens. Fits in my trunk easily and also fits snugly in my ice fishing sled (which is actually a cheap ass concrete mixing tote from Home Depot with a rope strung thru it lol).