NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

"Reel Security" - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default "Reel Security"

I often have my rods and reels on a rod rack that I have attached to the ladder on my RV when surf fishing on the beach. I use a security system that would work as well on rod racks on the front of a truck or on a center console of a boat. I simply bought a long cable shark rig and cut the hook off one end and the swivel off the other end. I know had a 12' long thin cable with a small crimped loop on each end. I simply thread the one end of the cable thru my reels and lower eye on my rods and loop around a ladder leg, grab bar, or rod rack frame and then lock the two loop ends of the cable with a small secure padlock. Sure someone could bring along some cable cutters, but it will prevent the "grab and run" thief. Not recomended for overnight protection in a "risky" neighborhood. Use caution when pulling the cable thru to prevent any damage to the reel finish. On spinners the cable can go under the bail wire.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: "Reel Security"

Great post....thanks

I had a rod stolen after a day fluking with my boys...I was carrying my stuff up to the car and some guy lifted my son's rod...
Old 09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: "Reel Security"

Chico: You should submit that to Saltwater Sportsmens' magazine. It is a great tip. They have a section for tips for readers.