NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

The "Best of 2016" thread - Page 4 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: The "Best of 2016" thread

2016 was a pretty good fishing year for me. I was lucky to have the opportunity to fish often with great friends, which is what it's all about. Caught several new species (alligator gar, sturgeon, flathead cats, Tiger trout) and a few personal bests (hybrid, walleye, stream brown trout, brown trout in general, carp, landlocked salmon). In total, I caught about 53 different fresh and saltwater species on rod and reel in 2016. Here is my year in review:

Freshwater:

Started out the year jigging walleyes and carp as bycatch from the legendary tin can with Chrisper. I had never ice fished before, and once there was safe ice Chrisper taught me how to successfully ice fish. Though the season was short, I managed northern pike, pickerel, muskie and various panfish.

As the season progressed, Chrisper and I continued the assault on NJ'S freshwater critters, both from land and from the fish catching machine known as the tin can. Trips were interspersed with pike and trout fishing, and walleye and hybrids at night. I took a c couple of out of state trips for alligator gar and sturgeon, and crossed those off the bucket list. Summer was dedicated to spending a lot of time targeting flatheads, with pretty good success. Fall meant pike, muskie, hybrids and a bunch of nice brown trout along with snakeheads and peacock bass in Florida. Ended the season with a successful fly trip for steelhead and browns.

Saltwater:

Saltwater started out with big stripers,* followed by my first time targeting threshers, which was a success. I had a handful of Canyon trips, catching yellowfin, mahi, sharks and bigeye tuna. Took a trip down to South Florida and got sails, mahi, kings, cobia, barracuda, blackfin tuna and a bunch of skippies and false albacore. Ended the season with stripers and tog.

Here are some pics.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Justin, where's the big fish? Lol... Jk man. Helluva year for sure. Good stuff dude!
Old 12-12-2016, 10:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

My biggest fish aren't as big as the others in this thread, but what constitutes a 'trophy' is relative to what you normally catch.

Pic 1: I was fishing shallow for panfish on a cold spring afternoon when this twenty-two inch Hybrid Striped Bass decided to give my light panfish gear a workout. I popped the hook and released this brute. (That's mud on his side, not blood)

Pic 2: I caught this 19-inch Smallmouth Bass on a drizzly summer afternoon. If memory serves me correctly, this is my personal-best Smallmouth.
After a few quick pics, she was released back in the water as are ALL bass I catch to grow bigger, make lots of babies, and make other anglers happy.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bass_Edit2.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	106223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bass_Edit1.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	106224  

Last edited by Eskimo; 12-12-2016 at 10:47 AM..
Old 12-12-2016, 12:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

man i love the pics, all of them! if you like looking at pics of big fish especially from NJ get your own pics up here! it's only fair!
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 12-12-2016, 02:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thumbs up Re: The "Best of 2016" thread

It's not over yet ! This is when the big girls come out to play.

hopefully can squeeze a couple more trips this year depending on the freeze.

This was us on Saturday, and some better ones from this year...still hunting for the 50+

Old 12-12-2016, 06:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

There will be plenty of open water into january, you're right! Looks like you've become a full blown musky hunter! I'll always be a multi species guy personally, but when you devote that much time on one species that NJ 50 is out there waiting for you for sure!!
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 12-12-2016, 08:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Great fish everybody! From the smallest sunfish to the biggest sharks and sturgeon - all are amazing to see!
Old 12-12-2016, 08:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
when you devote that much time on one species that NJ 50 is out there waiting for you for sure!!
I definitely agree with that. Depending how hungry you are for that one beast, you can definitely better your chances and change your odds by devotion and dedication. I like your 1st pic bro...you're doing just that. I found my rivermonster, hope you find your freak as well.
Stellar looking pics fellaz, from Skunk on down!!! Can't say which catch of yours I like the best, but the one with Cris holding the blackfish & getting photobombed by that little girl is great!😂😂 Besides JD getting his Jeremy Wade on across the map, all these posts are great proof of how great this armpit is!!
As for myself, I didn't touch down on any ice last season so I stuck it out on the river with some carping & clean-ups. Had a hand in starting to stop the accidental further dumping into the Passaic River, preventing hundreds of thousands of gallons of sewage from mixing with our waters. Also helped a touch with the Dundee Island Preserve clean-up which was loooong overdue and much more pleasant to the eye now.👍🚯♻ As always good times all year and coincidentally my larger fish of the season were all caught on a wooden lure I crafted myself. My biggest pike was a 35" 13lber and as far as length I also bagged a 37" 8lber. Had a great year of teaching & sharing our craft too so that was pretty fun as well. Hope this upcoming year is even better!! Jersey!!!

Old 12-13-2016, 10:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

EPIC pics guys, wow!

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 12-13-2016, 12:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

2016 was the year of squeezing short trips into the everyday grind. Was a tough year to put in many full days but managed a few good fish.

Had a few firsts like Kings, LL's, and iced pike and probably my PB yellow.

Couldn't feed the walleye jones as much as last year but had the opportunity to fish Otsego in NY for a few full moon eyes. Of course our NJ waters didn't disappoint either when i could get out.

And some fun inshore action with the usual NJ coastal suspects and a PB fluke at 8.5lbs

Last edited by ScowardNJ; 12-13-2016 at 01:03 PM..