NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Passaic River - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Passaic River

The spot I fish on the Passaic was the best I've seen it in a looong time. The water was down and although the banks were still pretty muddy, it was very fishable. I started tossing a BIG perch-colored husky jerk and at first didn't have any love. After snagging that one and busting the lip off getting it out, I switched to a shad color of the same bait. A short while later, I had what was easily a 35-inch pike sniff the bait all the way to the shore without opening its mouth. I took a few more casts, but it didn't show it's face again. A bit later, I hung that lure in a tree. Not wanting to lose any more of my good stuff, I tied on a small saltwater mackerel colored X-Rap. I fished another half-hour and was just about to leave when I felt a small tap as I was reeling. I figured it was just another snag and didn't pull so I could let the bait float out of it. However, as I was waiting I felt a huge headshake that shook my rod. I pulled back but it was too late. After sitting there stunned for second, I realized a fish must have had my lure in its mouth, figured out it wasn't food and shook it free as I was sitting there NOT setting the hook. I would have loved to have had some bait, or more importantly some more time, but I had to head home to write. I fished a total of an hour and a half. I think I would have eventually scored a pike if I kept at it. River was stained, but it always is and I've caught plenty of pike out of the chocolate milk. Water level was fantastic. I'll be back soon.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Passaic River

I have been out on the Passaic River 4 times this year since Jan 15 with today being the 4th time... I have caught a total of 25 Northern Pike (with 1 possible tiger musky which I can not completely identify if it was or wasnt)....

Anyway, today I got out fished for about 3 hours... I fished for 2 hours at Pia Costa Lake in Lincoln Park and I caught a 27 inch Northern on my very first cast and then nada.....

I then hit the Passaic River at 2 bridges and I caught another Northern Pike (21 inches).

I caught both Pike today on Rapala jointed fire tiger (floating). I reel it semi fast just so it gets about 2 feet depth and I work shoreline areas.

The rest of the pike on previous outings this year were all caught on silver spoons.....
Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

NRA Certified Range Safty Officer
Charolette Harbor,Floria
The ReelErIn
Come fish the flats
19' Key West 130 ETech
email: BillEnglehardt@yahoo.com
Old 02-20-2012, 09:20 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1
I have been out on the Passaic River 4 times this year since Jan 15 with today being the 4th time... I have caught a total of 25 Northern Pike (with 1 possible tiger musky which I can not completely identify if it was or wasnt)....

Anyway, today I got out fished for about 3 hours... I fished for 2 hours at Pia Costa Lake in Lincoln Park and I caught a 27 inch Northern on my very first cast and then nada.....

I then hit the Passaic River at 2 bridges and I caught another Northern Pike (21 inches).

I caught both Pike today on Rapala jointed fire tiger (floating). I reel it semi fast just so it gets about 2 feet depth and I work shoreline areas.

The rest of the pike on previous outings this year were all caught on silver spoons.....
Thanks for the good info. I've always wanted to fish Pia Costa but was under the impression that you had to be a town resident with a "sticker" to fish there?

I'll be fishing the river this week as well downstream of you guys. The rain we got should help, as well as it getting closer to their spawning time.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

interesting and good to know, i didn't that body of water was pia costa. i used to drive past that when i was golfing at Twin Willows a bunch. do they care if you park in the swimming area lot when it is not open for swimming? most towns don't seem to care about that as long as the facility is closed.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:37 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

how far up the river can u catch pike. really want to get after the bigger fish. i live right over boarder into ny. any other places were you think would be a good place for a biginer to go.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'm sure the gentlemen in this thread can attest to the fact that pike can be caught in a majority of the Passaic River, from as far upstream as Summit/Berkeley Heights, through Wayne and Lincoln Park, down to Elmwood Park and Garfield. Some spots are hotter than others, but as a fishery, the Passaic is doing well. There are a ton of reports out there; do your homework and you'll catch 'em.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 02-20-2012, 04:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Passaic River

Don't forget the Millstone River, it gets 1000 pike a year from the state.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I wouldn't go as far as calling me a gentleman Skunk, but I can attest that there are pike in that river from Chatham to Brick City.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Passaic River

As far as I know theres Pike from the Great swamp, The beginning of the Passaic River, all the way to the parkway bridge where they catch the stripers. Also they used to have bass tourneys on the passaic river, not sure if they do anymore. Im pretty sure the Pike rule the riva!!! Theres a 40+ incher swimming around 1 of my favorite holes with 5 of my 5 inch swim shads in its mouth!!!! F@#KER is big strong and fast Ill get him this year, NO DOUBT!!!