NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Info requested about a good set up for stripers - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:39 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Info requested about a good set up for stripers

As a recently retired guy, I am looking to increase my time on the water. I want to get in on the striper fishing this Spring and need some guidance on the proper gear to use on a party/charter boat and for surf casting. Any info that you can offer relative to rods, reels, lines, etc. will be appreciated. Thanks because I plan on Goin Fishin!
Old 05-03-2016, 03:27 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Info requested about a good set up for stripers

Sounds like you want a muti use rod for surf and boat. For this reason I would reccomend a Shimano Bait Runner 8000 or 6500 and minimum 7 foot matching spinning rod medium or medium heavy rated for 20 -30 pound line. The reason I like the bait runner is becuase you can use it for casting plugs and jigs as well as for live lining, chunking or clamming since it has the bait runner feature.

If you are going to fish with braided line I would go with the 6500, if mono you will need to go with the 8000 to get more line capacity.

Penn sells what they call Live Lining models which is the same thing as bait runner in their Spinfisher Series so you can check them out as well.

Your likely to be spending a few hundred bucks on this set up so I would go to one of our sponsors and check them out in person and choose a rod that balances to your reel of choice... It's very important that it does balance well if your are going to be holding the rod and casting a lot.

I would also have them spool the reel with braid since braid casts way better then mono and for surf fishing that's important and you can always tie on a mono top shot.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 05-03-2016 at 03:55 PM..
Old 05-03-2016, 08:24 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks for the info. Very thorough. I appreciate your assistance and I will purchase from the sponsors. Thanks again.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Sounds like you want a muti use rod for surf and boat. For this reason I would reccomend a Shimano Bait Runner 8000 or 6500 and minimum 7 foot matching spinning rod medium or medium heavy rated for 20 -30 pound line. The reason I like the bait runner is becuase you can use it for casting plugs and jigs as well as for live lining, chunking or clamming since it has the bait runner feature.

If you are going to fish with braided line I would go with the 6500, if mono you will need to go with the 8000 to get more line capacity.

Penn sells what they call Live Lining models which is the same thing as bait runner in their Spinfisher Series so you can check them out as well.

Your likely to be spending a few hundred bucks on this set up so I would go to one of our sponsors and check them out in person and choose a rod that balances to your reel of choice... It's very important that it does balance well if your are going to be holding the rod and casting a lot.

I would also have them spool the reel with braid since braid casts way better then mono and for surf fishing that's important and you can always tie on a mono top shot.

I can agree with our fearless leader for the most part......however I would recommend you check Kevin Bogan and a Fish Poison mh or a Jersey Coast Jersey Jigger rod, both outstanding.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:45 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Great info here, thanks!
Old 12-14-2016, 09:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fishin View Post
As a recently retired guy, I am looking to increase my time on the water. I want to get in on the striper fishing this Spring and need some guidance on the proper gear to use on a party/charter boat and for surf casting. Any info that you can offer relative to rods, reels, lines, etc. will be appreciated. Thanks because I plan on Goin Fishin!
this spring i picked up the Okuma avenger bait runner spinning reel size 40. so far a great reel for the price. I may pick up another of the larger size.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Wink Re: Info requested about a good set up for stripers

Always consider the weight of any reel. As you get older the weight gets very important the longer you fish especially in the surf. A 22 ounce reel is great if you are in your 30s but as you get older lighter often gets better.
I am well past my salad days and a 5000 type reel is more than enough for me now.