NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Backwater Baits Poison Tails - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 03-13-2019, 12:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Backwater Baits Poison Tails

Just put in a modest $100 order for some 1/4 and 3/8 oz teasers, I hope they work as good as their reputation says! Anybody use them around here? I mostly bought them for this year's Nantucket Shoals trip, but don't see why they would work out as a teaser around NJ also.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Backwater Baits Poison Tails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry609 View Post
Just put in a modest $100 order for some 1/4 and 3/8 oz teasers, I hope they work as good as their reputation says! Anybody use them around here? I mostly bought them for this year's Nantucket Shoals trip, but don't see why they would work out as a teaser around NJ also.
look good, should check out the new Berkley Fusion jigs.
They have a vertical line tie as well as a front eye so can fish them using both types of presentation .
and they are very reasonably priced,

Bunch dealers will have them at the Edison show this weekend

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 03-13-2019, 09:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I killed em with them in Mass last year!!

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:13 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I will definitely take a look for them also! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer4reel View Post
look good, should check out the new Berkley Fusion jigs.
They have a vertical line tie as well as a front eye so can fish them using both types of presentation .
and they are very reasonably priced,

Bunch dealers will have them at the Edison show this weekend
Old 03-14-2019, 09:17 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice I can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife1980 View Post
I killed em with them in Mass last year!!
Old 03-14-2019, 02:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Definitely useful in Nantucket. A chicken rig with two Poison Tails is all that I use up there. You don't lose many rigs so you don't need to bring a lot of spares.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finprof View Post
Definitely useful in Nantucket. A chicken rig with two Poison Tails is all that I use up there. You don't lose many rigs so you don't need to bring a lot of spares.
Deadly rig up there. All i used

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:17 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Yes, a definite must have is you are heading up to Nantucket.
Last year I fished for 3 days on a private charter with 6 guys. We were told to purchase these jigs by the captain before we drove up. Glad we were tipped off. My group of 6 anglers had 5 fish over 10 lbs and many, many many other fish over 7 lbs, many that were pushing 9 lbs +

and don't overlook the world class sea bass fishing up there. depending on when you are going, latter in the season the sea bass are mixed in and not uncommon to get into double header knot heads on these jigs as well.

Very important in my opinion is to buy with the 6/0 Sickle Hook. 1/4 oz or 3/8 oz size is all you need. He makes them with several hook options, the SICKLE HOOK is what you want for Nantucket Shoals areas. Holds a 6 inch grub well along with a fresh strip bait.

Chicken rig as previously mentioned is the way to go. 40 lb or 50 lb leader is perfect.

one tip- check out the Tee Knot.. We used this last year. We did not "loop" the jigs, rather we cut the loop open and tied a loop knot to the eye of the jig. The presentation looks much more natural. and very effective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KL8ej_8jMs

Good luck.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulatorman View Post
Yes, a definite must have is you are heading up to Nantucket.
Last year I fished for 3 days on a private charter with 6 guys. We were told to purchase these jigs by the captain before we drove up. Glad we were tipped off. My group of 6 anglers had 5 fish over 10 lbs and many, many many other fish over 7 lbs, many that were pushing 9 lbs +

and don't overlook the world class sea bass fishing up there. depending on when you are going, latter in the season the sea bass are mixed in and not uncommon to get into double header knot heads on these jigs as well.

Very important in my opinion is to buy with the 6/0 Sickle Hook. 1/4 oz or 3/8 oz size is all you need. He makes them with several hook options, the SICKLE HOOK is what you want for Nantucket Shoals areas. Holds a 6 inch grub well along with a fresh strip bait.

Chicken rig as previously mentioned is the way to go. 40 lb or 50 lb leader is perfect.

one tip- check out the Tee Knot.. We used this last year. We did not "loop" the jigs, rather we cut the loop open and tied a loop knot to the eye of the jig. The presentation looks much more natural. and very effective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KL8ej_8jMs

Good luck.
Thanks for all the tips! Definitely have to practice that knot at home and tie a bunch of rigs before getting on the boat so I don't make a fool of myself I got all of the 3/8 oz teasers with the 6/0 hook, all the 1/4 oz are the 5/0, but hopefully have enough. I think last year I had a problem with just trying to get too fancy and changing to all different kinds of rigs when I wasn't scoring fish after every half hour or so...too much thinking. Keeping it simple this year with chicken rig the whole time to maximize time on the bottom! Tight lines all!