NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trout - fall stocking - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-10-2018, 09:41 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Trout - fall stocking

Wednesday report of the Black River...

I witnessed one big rainbow trout landed and lots of unhappy guys wondering what they were doing wrong. I had zero luck as well with the fly pole. I plan to try again in a few days or a week as everyone suggested.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:55 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

So I took a half day yesterday to do some fall fishing. In my opinion Saxon Falls was not stocked. Ended up with a sunny and a chub. Did not see anything in the water nor even had a hit. Someone said they stocked in the morning but nothing was caught. Well at least it was a nice day with the sun out. Will try again over the weekend.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks for the reports.

@cadishack, see any truck tire tracks ? Usually an indicator if they stock or not.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:08 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

There was water in the lot but it seems like there always is.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:10 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Lots of rain will make things interesting with the river level. I am now cleaning up my gear for another try in a few days. I will report back after I go again. All suggestions for fly selection are welcome. I did try 10 flies...streamers... all colors and several other flies....all sizes.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:51 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Holy mackerel you guys check out these water levels.

Perfect timing for trout to move around. Hope no stocking trucks get swept away by these floods heck I'd figure there is so much water the trout can just swim from the hatchery to the stocking points. LOL

sounds like were gonna have a sweet trout season!
Old 10-12-2018, 08:40 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Holy mackerel you guys check out these water levels.

Perfect timing for trout to move around. Hope no stocking trucks get swept away by these floods heck I'd figure there is so much water the trout can just swim from the hatchery to the stocking points. LOL

sounds like were gonna have a sweet trout season!

absolutely, can't remember a recent fall stocking when the rivers werent way down
Old 10-12-2018, 09:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Just a few things to consider about the fall trout stocking/fishing:
There are fewer fish being stocked in each of the rivers compared to the weekly quotas that are stocked in the same rivers in the spring. That means that each stop at a stocking point will receive fewer trout........usually. There is simply no way that every stop along the route receives a netful (or less) of trout. Some spots that might have received trout in the spring will be passed by in order to insure the entire load is distributed efficiently. It's a juggling act to make sure everyone is happy that their favorite spot received some fish. That's why there is a caravan of cars usually following the trucks or are waiting at a stocking point to observe and then decide where to fish.
The flow on the Musky has been "up" recently due to the release of water from Lake Hopatcong. That, coupled with the recent rain, will be sure to spread fish throughout each stretch. I drove along Pohatcong Creek yesterday and saw fishermen in several spots searching the water from the banks looking to see where the trout were stocked. Very few were actually fishing. The South Branch gets stocked today and with the increased water levels from the rain, expect some of those fish to swim a bit farther from the holes where they were stocked.
Give it time. Be patient. Enjoy the extended season. You should have the streams to yourselves in a few days.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:23 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Can't wait to get out there for some fall trout! I hope to do some fishing for holdovers this weekend back near my moms house. They don't stock in the fall there, but nobody fishes there in the spring so more holdovers for me!
Old 10-12-2018, 11:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Schedule shows that Ramapo is getting stocked today, I get out at 3 and was going to see if could snag one of the fresh stockies before they spread out too much (and If that fails there are always smallmouth) Does anyone know where the major stocking points are for fall stocking of the ramapo? I am sure I could look at a map and make some educated guesses as to where the stocking points are but the ramapo is a long river and ideally I would like to fish one of the more heavily stocked stretches. Since the fall stock is a lot lighter than spring I am guesssing some stretches are much more heavily stocked than others. Specifically, does the stretch between Pompton Lake and confluence with Pompton River receive any fish? What about stretch immediately upstream of Pompton Lake? The stretch further north adjacent to Ramapo College? Any info appreciated! Thanks.