NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - 2024 and 2025 Fluke Options Poll
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2024, 04:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 2024 and 2025 Fluke Options Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
That's a point people seem not to understand - lowering size limits doesn't automatically mean harvesting more males. You could just as easily be killing females without giving them a chance to spawn.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think fluke generally start spawning at 16"? If so 18" gives them a couple of cycles.
I think most recreational fishermen understand this, the "people" that need to start understanding this are those doing the " best science available" and suggesting regulations. I haven't had a chance to follow up but there was reports from the agencies that now some 18" + fluke are males and in larger numbers than previously thought, So it would also, to agree with your point that maybe smaller fish are females. Never understood why sex studies outside of the agencies are automatically rejected but they cant peer review their own as this is supposed to be about protecting a species. My guess is no sex studies are being done at the agency level.