NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Thoughts on good "rough water small hull..
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 12:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Thoughts on good "rough water small hull..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
I'm not saying that at all. Just rather buy larger from the get go than go with a 17 and wish I had more room.

Btw, you run 2 kickers? So you have 3 outboards hanging off the transom of an 18 footer?
No. my current configuration is 100 main power, 6 HP on a retractable bracket, and a little 2 HP stowed.. If the main engine should fail, then the kicker fails, I take the 6 HP off the bracket and stick the 2 HP on.. It doesn't go fast, but moves the boat ok, and is a LOT better than rowing.. I test these backups continually throughout the season.. I am a retired mechanic and tend to be anal about the way gasoline engines run.
I suppose I could go as bigs as 19 but as i said, that Aquasport Osprey 175 was a beefy boat, all glass no wood, and handled rough water easily, and for me would be more than enough for bay and inshore fluke/blues/seabass/tog.. they just aren't that easy to find... It would be all the boat I would need for inshore, but anything similar would be fine as well.. More flattened planing hulls like the older Whaler Montauk are stable but pound like hell in a chop.. I would prefer a semi V thats solidly built.. I am prone towards Aquasports because I owned one and know its capabilities but as said, I am open to others , and thats why I am asking opinions hoping maybe a few members here know the hulls first hand, by owning or fishing in them.. I am always looking out for an Osprey 175 as its beefy and beamy, and i am familiar with it.. just can't find one... bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 01-09-2017 at 12:31 PM..