NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Fluke - when to set the hook
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 11:32 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Fluke - when to set the hook

Ok, here is my report. I was on a non-sponsor boat out of AH on 7/4 with my son for a 1/2 day trip in the morning.

The first hour or so, we had a really good drifting condition as it was light wind with the tide. You had to catch something in that hour or otherwise there was a good chance you went home with nothing.

My setup was a 2 oz bucktail with spearing with a gulp minnow on a trailer hook. It was what the fish wanted I guess as I was bringing up one fish after another when no one else seemed to be doing anything.

I was trying to set the hook as soon as there was a slight hint of a bite. I would say half the time, the fish came back for the bait and the other half, they did not even though the bait were still there. So, my result is kind of mixed.

I ended up with 2 keepers and 2 robins while my son just had shorts (about a half a dozen). He was dragging bait though.