NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Party boat tuna tackle question
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 06:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Party boat tuna tackle question

My reel for 80# last year and now for 60# is the Avet EXW 30 2 speed on a custom "acid wrap" 6'6" carbon fiber rod. I left the 200yd 80# braid & loaded 200 yds of 60# mono as the top shot. I think I had 165 yds 80# mono loaded last year. I only got into the braid once in 4-5 years but biggest fish were only 90-100# YFT's. Just remember to lighten up on the leaders during the day, all the way down to 40# fluorocarbon leaders & don't forget to lighten up on the drag!!! As you gain more experience and confidence you can fish lighter outfits and line. On a good tuna boat, the mates and fellow anglers should work with you giving pointers and general help. Don't be afraid to ask and pay attention to what the "regulars" are doing...(after 20+ years, I'm still picking up tips).
What's been said above by others is good stuff...I'll re-spool mono once or twice during the tuna season if it's been well used(stretched) with tuna. Check your line for nicks, scrapes & other abrasions as you reel in on the retrieve and after a tuna has gone under the boat, line may have scraped the chine, transom or running gear. More than one tuna has been lost to that-unfortunately,I know from personal experience!!!
At any rate have a good trip and we'll be waiting for your report---tight lines...
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)