NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Why do you fish????
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2024, 11:51 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Why do you fish????

Great question! In my opinion, for those of us who enjoy this recreational activity, it provides some of the greatest memories we'll ever have in life. For me personally, it was a family tradition to fish basically every weekend of the year with my entire family, salt or fresh didn't matter. It was our time together as a family. I wouldn't replace it for any thing in the world. It taught respect for fisheries but more important respect in general. We took only what we ate and released everything else, mom and dad's rule. There's no other recreational activity you can enjoy or just partake in which offers as much enjoyment, relaxation and social interaction when you're 50, 60 or 80 years old as it did when you were 5. All the intangible benefits of fishing with family, friends or complete strangers are lost on today's generation and the impacts of social media. I don't think anything has ever been or will be as misnamed to the magnitude of social media. There's nothing more therapeutic in life than a day on the water or the serenity of a river or stream and experiencing the beauty of nature which most people in life never have a chance to experience. We lose recreational fishing, it will certainly have quality of life issues on future generations.