NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Pike-a-thon Weigh-in Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 08:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Pike-a-thon Weigh-in Thread

Thanx for the kind words guy(s), lol. Thought I'd post my weigh in routine to possibly save some fish. I'd imagine a bunch of weigh ins happening in the next 2 weeks..........

Once I got em in close, "play em" out for a sec to tire em out, makes it easier to handle them. At this point, get their head out of the water. Then, gently work the hook of the scale into the gill plate. Be sure not to make contact with the gills. The gill plate covers a lot more than the gills so it should be easy provided the fish is not going nuts ( see step 1, lol). At this point, raise fish up for another photo (depending on lure used and amount of hooks). Since its artificials only, try to get the lure in the pic. If not, lay the fish down next to the tape with the lure attached. Then, without gettin the fish sandy, muddy, raise it up for a full body shot.

Take a couple to make sure you got it in and release. Total of less than 1/2 mins tops. Good luck out there.....................

Last edited by NorthJerzyG; 05-18-2013 at 10:08 PM..