NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Question for you Delaware smallie guys
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2022, 04:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Question for you Delaware smallie guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livebaiter46 View Post
Always catch smallmouth on hellgramites.Never caught a walleye on one.Not sure if they eat them
No SMB can resist a live hellgramite ever.. Up here they just call them Dobson.. Small crayfish a close second... I have never caught a walleye on one, but that doesn't mean they won't eat them.. Walleyes will hit crayfish now and then, but as far as I am concerned they eat more small fish than they do nymphs, crayfish etc... Up here in the river we find madtoms, various minnows, sculpins, and some sort of small Herring looking fish in their stomachs... I think the OP was fly fishing, and if he wants SMB, I would think a Muddler, [sculpin imitation] or imitations of nymphs or Crayfish might be a good choice when they won't hit traditional minnow pattern streamers...
I have seen days where they would only hit brown/ brownish green or maybe motor oil color plastics to the exclusion of any other color.. Other days in doesn't matter... I typically have luck with plastic grubs in chartreuse, brown, motor oil, even herring type colors.. However there are days I don't get a touch , with guys using crayfish looking stuff hitting them one after another... They can at times be picky..Usually not, but they have their days... bob