NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Question for you Delaware smallie guys
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2022, 09:52 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Question for you Delaware smallie guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Try something that might be an imitation of a crayfish,sculpin, or some type of rock dwelling nymph, maybe a Muddler or similar.. Smallmouth, like many fish, are opportunists. they eat whats available.. However, over the decades, I have found 20 Crayfish for every free swimming minnow in Smallmouth bass I have cleaned.. same with river Walleyes... They typically eat stuff that grubs around and lives under rocks as oppossed to things that swim in open water.. Always consider that most life in any rocky stream or rocky river is around or under the rocks... Often you just need to match the hatch, and a lot of the times in rocky streams the "hatch" is crayfish, sculpins,mad toms, or those weird darters that live under rocks..bob
Yeah I probably should have tried a crayfish pattern. I was just stunned that I couldn't even move anything. Usually I can entice the 1 stupid fish in the river to take. lol.

Slingin' Cane

Purveyor of the dark art of the fly rod