NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - New Long Branch Fishing Pier
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2024, 08:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: New Long Branch Fishing Pier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Bill View Post
Bob,

Going to disagree with you on this one. Fluke fishing was phenomenal off that pier. One day in the fall there were 15 fish landed over 8 lbs. with 6 of those over 10. I personally have caught 4 fish over 8lb, one over 9 and lost a fish in the mesh basket they used which easily went 12 plus. Someone had dead fishing line wrapped around the basket and after I got the fish in the basket, the guy helping me lift the basket didn't realize the line was on the basket, line caught onto one of the pilings, basket flipped and the biggest fluke I've ever seen up until that time was gone. Black fishing was limited to high tides but if you cast underneath the pier during the high tides around the pilings there were big blackfish to catch. Weak fishing when we had anchovy runs along the coast was sensational at night. Ling and whiting I agree were the headliner but there was great fishing for many species on the pier. The hot spot was the front but there were many caught on the sides especially next to the automatic chum grinder they had on the north side. And when fishing was slow, the bar / restaurant had the best clam chowder I think I've ever tasted. Would be good to see another ocean pier in that area and I think the fishing opportunities will be just as good as the original pier.

Bill
I won't argue, never saw days as you describe, but of course that doesn't mean much.. I will say however, that a LOT of fishing on the NJ shore was as you described back in those days... The pier was good, but so were an awful lot of other places during those years..