NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Ssfff To Challenge Mrfss Landings Data
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Ssfff To Challenge Mrfss Landings Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensdock
The 100 keepers I caught is a solid documented number.
Which I never questioned.

Quote:
My estimate of 10% of anglers catching a 100 keepers was determined via Cape May co. flounder fishermen that record their catch on blogs, fishing websites or old fashioned log books.
OK, so how does that reflect the other 99.9% of the state and anglers? If you are working with a 10% figure, did you check the "blogs" of even a fraction of 1% of 140,000 anglers? Did you do a statistical survey spread across the state, regions, fishing types, etc?

No, of course you did not and even said as much.

Quote:
Even under super conservative angler numbers, I say we over fished the flounder quota for the 2009 season.
Which of course, is your opinion to which are certainly entitled, but then again it is not based on anything even remotely resembling "data" or something acquired through "research."

So let's be conservative Ken and cut your estimate in half and use the 2008 angler numbers of 1.2million since it is more recent than the 1.4 million estimate. 5% of 1.2 million anglers anglers catching 125lbs. each. Guess what? You'd get 7.5 million pounds of fish. That's extremely conservative according to your numbers, yet it would still equal a number greater than the landings of Fluke on THE ENTIRE EASTERN SEABOARD. As a matter of fact, it is even greater than the recreational quota for the entire eastern seaboard. It is also (at 2.5lbs each) a number THREE TIMES that estimated for the ENTIRE NEW JERSEY LANDINGS in numbers of fish, and nearly one and a half times the estimate for numbers of fish landed for the ENTIRE COAST.

Forget all the throw backs that would be associated with that number not to mention the landings by the other 95% of the anglers from NJ and I think the point is clear.

Your "estimates" are laughable to say the least, and your opinion of what quota was or was not exceeded is based on nothing other than your opinion, with zero facts to support your conclusions.

By the way, you do know that your assertion that the quota was exceeded is not what is being claimed right? The quota was NOT exceeded this year, so you now claim to know more than fishermen and the government based on Cape May fishermen's blogs and websites?

I'm sorry Ken, but please go waste someone else's time with your ridiculous assertions, I have more important things to do.

How can you look at how ridiculously outrageous your numbers are and STILL cling to your delusions?

I guess the saying "ignorance is bliss" is true.