NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - The K-Drill Ice Auger System
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 06:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: The K-Drill Ice Auger System

I haven't used the K-Drill but I have a Strike Master adapter on an old manual Mora that I use with an 18V Makita cordless drill as my back-up. It does works well but you really have to use a lot of strength to keep the auger straight and on point (and have really sharp blades). That's why the Clam and others add a mounting frame to the drill and handles. It's also really too much torque for a cordless drill and speed control can be difficult which is why some of the adapters use an intermediate geared adapter (Think of trying to stir a 5 gallon bucket of drywall mud using a paddle bit with a cordless drill vs a big corded D handle 1/2" power drill). Extreme cold also affects battery life. If the ice is really thick or you intend to drill a lot of holes this type of set-up isn't the best choice. I know a guy who uses this type of set-up except he uses a heavy power drill powered by a small portable generator on his sled. Works great and fast but at that point I's just use a dedicated power auger, either gas or propane. All in all... unless you are going to only drill a few holes and not ice fish very often, I recommend dropping some cash on a good power auger.