NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Recommendations popping rod - Panama!
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 05:40 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Recommendations popping rod - Panama!

Sweet! You'll love Pedasi! We can definitely connect while you're here. Warning - April is super hot, dry with little breeze. May the rain starts. Usually just in the afternoon. Make sure you bring good sun protection. Great fishing too! Tons of small tuna everywhere in & around the island. Big tuna come in a lot closer. Inshore fishing, specifically popping, should be in full swing.

As for the rod, I'm pairing it with a Penn Torque 5 or 7. I have both here. The 8'6" surf rod is medium action which gets the job done but you'll feel it after a long day. It doesn't cast as far & you lose a lot of popping action due to the flex.

The one thing I have learned is that less is more. The lighter your reel/set up, the better. Jigging or popping can be a marathon. It's hours of casting. Those extra few ounces can be brutal. A 20,000 series reel is pretty heavy so you may want to bring something a little lighter.

Wish you the best when you come out! Feel free to send me a PM for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumster View Post
Was wondering the same thing myself.... After doing some research, I purchased a Shimano Saragusa 20,000, loaded with 80 lb braid. I matched that up with a Shimano Terez 7`8 extra heavy action, medium fast taper. Unfortunately, the cost was more than $200.00. I bought it specifically for popping in of all places, Pedasi aka the Tuna Coast.... Making my 1st trip there for a month from 4-16-18 through 5-16-18. I cant wait!!! Looking to do some recon towards a possible move to Pedasi in 2 years. Definitely would like to meet up if that works for you.... Feel free to pm me. Thanks

"Fishing Alaska to Patagonia & everything in between!"