NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Party boat tuna tackle question
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 06:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Party boat tuna tackle question

Thanks Walleyed...yes, I did mean the HXW Raptor.
And YES...party boat= 7' rod!!! Both to be able to reach over the side and also to be able to reach over and under other anglers as your "running the rail" to follow your fish. THE RAIL IS YOUR FRIEND!!! As Walleyed said...use it for leverage. Part of the reason I like 7" rods is to be able to incorporate a 12" minimum butt grip (most are 14", some 16") into the rod. This long grip can be tucked into your armpit when reaching under the boat OR for leverage when you rest the foregrip on the rail. That said, I also like a 10"-12" foregrip to rest on the rail. Some guys like gimbal butts for use with belts. I, personally, DO NOT. I've found, under load, the gimbal can sometimes be difficult to get out of the belt when the fish makes a run and you need to re-position. I just prefer a large, soft butt cap.
All that said...I think the BEST advise I could give a first timer is to go see Dave at the Reel Seat. Dave's spent his time at the rail of MANY, MANY party boats and his inventory reflects it. Kevin is also a great resource (Bogan=Canyon). Both have knowledge worth reaping.
MAN...now I'm getting excited! Only 3 more months!

Shorts