NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Tile fish gear
Thread: Tile fish gear
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 06:37 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Tile fish gear

First - talk to Dave at The Reel Seat in Brielle - he is the Tile master and a great guy. When my buddy and I started tile fishing Dave set us up with all the right gear and advice we needed. He'll also tell you which rigs and weight sinkers you'll need and how many of each for a successful trip. In the mean time, check his website under Tile specific gear and rigs and you'll get a good idea of what you'll need. He's on NJFishing and he'll probably chime in.

A few pointers that I learned through my research early on...

Rod - I fish a Reel Seat Custom Tile Fish Rod and love it. I personally prefer graphite over eglass but whichever you choose, don't go too light. I suggest an 8 foot rod regardless of which brand you choose

Reel - Don't bother with 2 speed reel and do not get a high speed reel. You want about a 4.3:1 ratio for a good balance of power and speed. I started with a Fin-Nor Offshore OFC30L (4.3 ratio). They don't make this reel anymore but you can find them for a good deal, even still NIB on eBay.

Line - 50lb solid core braid - a hi vis color - I use Sufix 832

Top shot / Leader - ~30 feet of 60lb mono. Fluorocarbon isn't necessary. I suggest using a wind-on - I get mine from Reel Seat.

Rigs - I suggest circle hook rigs from Reel Seat - High quality hand tied rigs - get the 2 hook tile rigs, the 1 hook trophy tile rigs and the smaller rosefish rigs - they are all on Dave's web site.

Dave also gives seminars at the different shows and at his shop - very informative, I strongly recommend sitting in on one. You'll learn stuff you haven't even considered yet.