NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Jigs for Tiles?
Thread: Jigs for Tiles?
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 07:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Jigs for Tiles?

Hi folks.
I love jigging for cod, pollack, haddock, fluke etc.
The idea of jigging for tiles seems intriguing. As hard as it is to imagine bait/bottom fishing in 1000', I can't begin imagine jigging in it.
What drift characteristics would make jigging more productive than soaking / dragging just bait? For other ground fish (e.g. cod), a faster drift is better suited for jigging. No current and sitting dead in the water jigging also allows one to cover more ground and possibly trigger inactive fish to reaction strike.
For tiles, I would think the constant concern would be scoping out too quickly and needed to crank up 1/4 mile of line to reset. What conditions would indicate jigging over simply baiting?
Also, I asked a question about which jigs to buy / bring for tiles. I was encouraged to look at Reel Seat's site. They have A LOT of styles and weights for tiles. In the past I've generally been guilty of buying and lugging way too many jigs for cod etc. I'd like to stay more streamlined for tiles. Can you guys please share what jigs are the essential and most consistent tile jig styles and necessary weights? Do traditional New England cod jigs work (e.g., Vike / Slovkrogen / LAV jigs)? How about plain old hammered diamonds? How important is color in water that deep? In cod jigging we often add a teaser above the jig on a dropper, is that done for tiles? Any other considerations or things I should know for tile jigging?
Thanks!
JD