NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Blackfish Reels
Thread: Blackfish Reels
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 04:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Blackfish Reels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabehow View Post
I'm looking to find out what reels people use to fish for tog. I currently own an Avet SX 5.3 MC with 40# PP Spectra on a Shimano TVC-66M Trevala Jigging Rod that I use for inshore fishing. I actually enjoy fishing the Avet, but I don't know if I have enough power in the reel to pull a 8+ lb fish up before he gets into his hole. The Avet SX 5.3 strike drag of 9# and full 14# may be just a little undermatched for a pig. The reason I ask is because I don't want to lose a fish of a lifetime because I'm not setup appropriately.

I know many anglers will say that they fish 50# or 65# braid, but I also use this reel for inshore fluke, sea bass, and jigging for stripers. I may be in the market for a new tog setup, so let me know what your thoughts are.

I bought my adult son this very reel, Avet Sx MC, two Christmases ago along with a Fish Poison rod. He loves the set-up for inshore just as you use it.
I wish I could have bought two. I have a bit heavier Fish Poison, with a Saltist 30 star-drag.
I prefer the Avet.

I've "borrowed" it a few times as he left it in my garage.
I plan to borrow it again this season for tog.
Must admit I've never gotten a double digit tog on the Avet, but have seen others do so.
Tight Lines,
Tom K.