NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - LandLocked Salmon
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 02:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: LandLocked Salmon

I doubt Lake Trout are devouring all the smelt in Lake George, neither are they consuming all the alewives in R.V Res. Lake George is not blessed with good spawning creeks and streams. Numerous bad spawns in different spawn cycles has hurt the bait fish population at times there.. I'd bet that the state of NY has used the same strain of salmon for spawning purposes that they have weakened that strain and is no longer a viable fish to stocked and survive in the wild..Lakers in the last 5 years at least to me have increased in size and weight compared to fish of the late 90's and early 2000. Rv unfortuantly must deal with alewives that for some unknown reason have massive die offs after spawning which often leaves their population numbers down for several years.. NJ"s other lakes with alewives will probably have the same difficulties in years to come..Hopefully not and these new LL salmon can survive, I have my doubts that will happen even though I hope they take hold..