NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Why do we tip the mates?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 07:27 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Why do we tip the mates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy
That's a long and thought out reply, bullet. You are cheap. Only someone trying to assuage his own guilt about being cheap would put all that effort into a reply such as yours. It sounds like the mates on the party boats you frequent are EXACTLY the kind of mates you like. They don't need to take care of you as you are self-sufficient so you can justify being a lousy tipper.
Thought Bob's reply was well thought out and covered the bases vis a vis good and bad mating. Don't know how you consider it being cheap. I'll use the restaurant analogy so many others here have used Fishguy. If you can't find your server for long periods of time, like when you want to return a dish or need to order more and their service ends up giving your meal a bad taste, do you still automatically tip them 20% or more? I don't think so.

Somebody brought up a scenario where a big crowd might end up giving a large amount in tips at the end of the day. Some restuarants have been known to take a cut of that, do salaried captains do the same? I've heard complaints about a % of fish money having to be kicked upstairs.