NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Boating (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Batteries (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67741)

fin_s_guy 03-25-2014 09:19 AM

Batteries

Had mine on a trickle charger over the winter and hooked them up last weekend. Lit everything up and lifted the engine with no worries....but did notice their time stamp at...2007?!? :eek:

Might be time to replace even if they do seem to be working. Let's hear some reviews and places to get 'em at a fair price.

Running (2) GPS, stereo, bilge pump and turning a 200 hp 2 stroke.

broken bobber 03-25-2014 09:35 AM

Re: Batteries

Quote:

Originally Posted by fin_s_guy (Post 349070)
Had mine on a trickle charger over the winter and hooked them up last weekend. Lit everything up and lifted the engine with no worries....but did notice their time stamp at...2007?!? :eek:

Might be time to replace even if they do seem to be working. Let's hear some reviews and places to get 'em at a fair price.

Running (2) GPS, stereo, bilge pump and turning a 200 hp 2 stroke.

replace mine every 2 yrs reguardless..... the ones at west marine have never failed me

Capt. Debbie 03-25-2014 10:04 AM

Having done many many on the Tow Boat... the border year is 3 years of use. The 4th year is "barrowed time".

My personal rule of thumb is a cared for battery lasts 3 seasons reliably. I use West Marine batteries too. Skip the exotic $300 glass batteries. Dual use batteries since it's my only battery and does crank 25hp O/B and run all my electronic while drifting/anchored for hours on end.

MrAC1980 03-25-2014 10:05 AM

I replace mine every couple of years as well. I just use the cheap Costco marine batteries. If I remember correctly you get a 2 year warranty and if one goes bad you can bring it back with no questions asked.

Bass_Appeal 03-25-2014 12:53 PM

ive heard good things about walmart batteries , and cheap to ....i personally like interstate , but on the higher side , ....optima and those over priced batteries ...can k.m.a .....

Gerry Zagorski 03-25-2014 02:24 PM

Replace every 2 years.... I bought a Wally World Battery these past few times. One for the boat and one for the car. Both worked fine.

If you want to spend some extra money, the Optima batteries work well but the real benfits come into play only as house battery as they can stand up to more discharge and charge cycles. Less of a benefit for your starting batteries since they are not drained and recharged as often.

Reelron 03-25-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bass_Appeal (Post 349097)
ive heard good things about walmart batteries , and cheap to ....i personally like interstate , but on the higher side , ....optima and those over priced batteries ...can k.m.a .....

Just don't forget about the HUGE Donations that the Walton Foundation make to the PEW Trust. Just feels like giving money to Walmart for fishing stuff is self defeating? I believe there is still a good warranty on the West Marine Batteries?

Duffman 03-25-2014 06:09 PM

Interstate.

Sharkyispy 03-25-2014 08:20 PM

Fin S- Have used these in the past when I needed replacement and they lasted very well.

Advance Auto-Autocraft Marine battery 12V Group size 27 600 CCA- $105.99

Mike

Ttmako 03-31-2014 07:11 PM

Id use the same exact ones you have now.
They worked well for you.