NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   weekend ice report (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117747)

icebadger 02-13-2022 02:51 PM

weekend ice report

4 Attachment(s)
I was out and about on the big pond this weekend. the ice took a bit of a beating this past week with the warm temps we had friday and saturday. the top got soft but the gray ice was still 9" in most places however the darker late frozen ice in the middle and any place the wind kept the ice from freezing only was 5" and was turning honeycomb by saturday afternoon and not to safe to walk on. you have to know where the dark thinner ice was before the snow covered the ice on sunday morning. on saturday i went out and got perch and sunnies also got a roach(golden shinner) on the marmooska jig. I got the biggest perch so far at 13" 1lb 3oz. most perch i got sat were 9" to 13" again in 11 fow, they are eating herring so i got most of them on a rippin rap that looks like a herring color wise. on super sunday i crushed em big time i landed 68 perch in the morning from 8:00am till 11:30am from 6 to12" they were smashing the rippin rap before it got to the bottom. some of the perch burped up herring still in tact so i put them on the marmooska jig and sent that down to em and they crushed it. I saved some of the herring put them in a bag for tomorrow. I kept 8 perch for the super bowl perch fry. I used a spud to check the ice as i went out to look for soft spots and for the most part the ice was ok but the warmer forcast is going to mess things up by the end of the week we might get the weekend in but after that it does not look good. If you go out check as you go be safe. the last two photos were from sunday you can see the herring they spit up that i saved for bait.

phil 02-13-2022 05:31 PM

Re: weekend ice report

Thats badass catching fish and bait at the same time. I went to monks today and caught 1 pickerel ill never go there again and this time i mean it.

icebadger 02-13-2022 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil (Post 566963)
Thats badass catching fish and bait at the same time. I went to monks today and caught 1 pickerel ill never go there again and this time i mean it.

yea i found myself saying the same thing about skunksville and yet back i went to drill more holes and try to get walleyes but only getting slime darts and crappies and sometimes a smallmouth or two..

thmyorke1 02-14-2022 08:07 AM

great report. lol a feeding herring frenzy below the ice!

Jedhead 02-14-2022 08:08 AM

Looks like a good weekend! The perch look like they've been gorging on those herring.

Chrisper4694 02-14-2022 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil (Post 566963)

my buddies caught two musky there saturday... you should def go back and try again...

icebadger 02-14-2022 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 (Post 566971)
my buddies caught two musky there saturday... you should def go back and try again...

I have been going back but do not want anything to do with muskys, just jumbo perch and a surprise walleye will do nicely. surprised that there has been no crappie where i am. muskys would tear up my jig rods, they are not beefy ones.

FASTEDDIE29 02-14-2022 05:54 PM

Thank you for the report. That’s some stellar Perch jigging man. Good eats, good eats. Keep up the great catching! :D

Chrisper4694 02-15-2022 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icebadger (Post 566978)
I have been going back but do not want anything to do with muskys, just jumbo perch and a surprise walleye will do nicely. surprised that there has been no crappie where i am. muskys would tear up my jig rods, they are not beefy ones.

i think i'm gonna go specifically prepared for a musky back to the scene of the crime where we got bit off by one on the normal tip up leader.