NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Trout Fishing Techniques? (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107290)

RyanLoughney 03-04-2019 08:43 PM

Trout Fishing Techniques?

With the spring rolling around, what are some of your guy's favorite trout fishing techniques and presentations??? Also, any interesting techniques that are uncommon? looking to stock up for the upcoming season and would love to try some new techniques!
best of luck,
Ryan

AndyS 03-04-2019 09:03 PM

Re: Trout Fishing Techniques?

4 Attachment(s)
I use jigs.

Hookmanski 03-05-2019 11:14 AM

Ebay, trout-a-control. You're welcome ;)

FASTEDDIE29 03-05-2019 12:44 PM

If you want to catch trout this April buy Berkeley pink worms and a couple Trout floats. It’s gona be a cold opening day for sure. Stocked Rainbows can’t stay away from these pink worms.

I use plugs and jigs all year round. It’s all about the twitch twitch and retrieve. Plugs first then jigs if the bites not red hot. Crappie jigs work just fine! Hope to see some reports from you. Welcome aboard!!!:D

Godrew1972 03-05-2019 01:20 PM

Rooster tail, brown trout color
1/8oz BRTR, 4lb test
cast upstream at 45 degree angle and retrieve fast enuff to get the blade to flutter in current, has worked for me for 30 years

best technique is to take a day off during the week, weekend trouting is busy during the first few weeks

AndyS 03-05-2019 01:23 PM

If you plan on lots of C&R trout this year you may want to think about getting rid of those treble hooks or pinching the barbs down.

Chrisper4694 03-06-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyS (Post 525776)
If you plan on lots of C&R trout this year you may want to think about getting rid of those treble hooks or pinching the barbs down.

scientifically proven not to matter unless you're fly fishing and gut hooking everything and fighting it to it's death for 10 minutes.

monsterfish 03-06-2019 01:15 PM

To be honest, stocked trout will bite literally anything. They are raised in hatcheries and fed with pellets. Practically anything that looks attracting will have them bite, whether it's because they're curious, or just plain hungry.

I saw my friend cast an empty hook and caught one on the same hole I caught one.

Just like fish in a fish tank, they're looking up to wait for food to hit the water.

Obviously, as time progress and they spread out and grow, they learn their habitat, then it's a different story, but first few weeks of trout season, anything goes.

Odin908 03-06-2019 04:39 PM

I'll be out opening day at cheesequake trying my luck from shore. Good luck to you.

Edit: i guess i should add technique lol. Ill be bringing one pole with an assortment of spinners, sticks, artificial worms... maybe some trout dough. I'll be fishing and walking til i find where they are hiding.

RyanLoughney 03-06-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odin908 (Post 525814)
I'll be out opening day at cheesequake trying my luck from shore. Good luck to you.

Edit: i guess i should add technique lol. Ill be bringing one pole with an assortment of spinners, sticks, artificial worms... maybe some trout dough. I'll be fishing and walking til i find where they are hiding.

Thanks! good luck to you!
the tips are well appreciated!