NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Delaware River of Death - Number 4! (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62608)

Eskimo 08-14-2013 03:06 PM

Delaware River of Death - Number 4!

I wanted to post a heads-up to anyone fishing the Delaware River that thes high waters this summer have made the river more dangerous than usual.
TWO people have drowned this week in the Delaware River.
That makes four this summer. This one is actually the second drowning in Worthington State Forest this summer.

Here's the article from NJ.com:
http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/ind..._river_default

I have stopped fishing Worthington State Forest in the summer because the massive crowds of inner-city people make fishing nearly impossible. I'm not sure, but I think the Park Police may have closed the canoe launch by Route 80 after the last drowning a couple of weeks ago.

When I drove through the parking lot, it appeared the police were blocking off sections of parking and the boat launch in a desperate attempt to control the overcrowding. I'm not sure because the area was too crowded to approach and there was no where to park so I could walk over to see. Just insanity.

Anyway, this whole event reminds me of a joke I heard:

There were two rednecks fishing for catfish on the banks of the Delaware River.

A guy from New York City is thrashing around in the water screaming, "I can't swim! I can't swim!"

One redneck looked at the other and said, "Well, I can't play piano. You don't see me hollering about it.".

Skunk City 08-14-2013 03:13 PM

Re: Delaware River of Death - Number 4!

See my thread a few posts down. We towed a dead guys boat for probably 5 miles the day he died.

buzzbaiter 08-14-2013 05:41 PM

I guess the Hudson isn't clean enough to drown in...

Eskimo 08-14-2013 06:08 PM

I may be wrong about the number being 4.
A quick Google search for "Delaware River Drownings 2013" revealed at least ten incidents:

1) Anthony Del Prete (age 30), Aug. 10, inner tube

2) Shawn Martin (age 29), June 14, Kayak

3) Daven Harrison (age 20), Aug. 10, swimming

4) Christopher Montalvo (age 29), July 9, swimming

5) Michael Maxwell (age 9), July 8, fishing

6) Juan Roberto Salomon Delacruz (age 51), July 21, swimming

7) Donald Shamus (age 21), June 19, kayak (West Branch of Delaware)

8) Mark Griffin (age 52), May 27, unknown

9) Dennis Murphy (age 70), June 13, canoe

10) Gary West (age 38), July 6, rafting (this guy lived in Summit)

11) Unidentified Body, April 14, unknown - found floating in Bristol Township

FASTEDDIE29 08-14-2013 06:13 PM

Dont forget about the car that took a plunge into the Delaware last month. Kid drowned locked in his car just north of Riegelsville!!! Horrible way to die, just horrible!!!

lunkertaker 08-14-2013 08:10 PM

Ouch! The term Big D now has new meaning for the "D" part. Be careful out there:(

flatcreek 08-14-2013 08:41 PM

Don't condemn the river because some people drown. It's a big river with probably as much shoreline as the jersey coast and how many people drown there. It doesn't have many life guards and not much supervision, it' a place you can be free. Just be careful and use good common sense, because it can be dangerous if you don't, as all bodies of water can and what ever you do don't try to swim across it. I live close to the river and every year people die trying. They under estimate the distance and the currents.

LIFE JACKETS SAVE LIVES.

GetANet 08-14-2013 09:48 PM

Well Put Phil!!!

jmurr711 08-14-2013 10:47 PM

2 kids drowned in the pennypack this summer as well, everyone needs to be extra careful especially after the rains

Mjh609 08-14-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29
Dont forget about the car that took a plunge into the Delaware last month. Kid drowned locked in his car just north of Riegelsville!!! Horrible way to die, just horrible!!!

What about the girl who went off the bridge on her way home from work. Was that lambertville or frenchtown?