NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Best Of (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tons of Sharks in the Shrewsbury River??? (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61520)

Arbutis 07-17-2013 03:09 PM

Tons of Sharks in the Shrewsbury River???

It was a VERY interesting morning! Left at 5:30 home by 8:30.* Me and one other guy.* We caught tons of fluke (mostly shorts), one beautiful weakfish!, scooped a bunch of big crabs that were just swimming on the surface and we had a very interesting encounter. . .
We swore that we were seeing small SHARKS all morning long.* Dorsal fins were popping up everywhere and occasionally we would see an attack and a huge splash! I thought I was going crazy. So we made an attempt to catch one by tossing a plug right in front of the fins. . .
No takes. Several close shots but no bites.* Later, on our way back in some guys crabbing asked us if we have been seeing sharks!* Then in the distance we saw the motherload.* In like 3 feet of water there were schools of them in the hundreds all over. Breaking water and finning.* I threw a big treble hook on my line and we headed over to have a look. . .
I tossed it in and immediately hooked up and line started peeling off the reel!* Others were breaking water and swirling and splashing all around us in the shallows. After** a 10 minute battle with a tiny rod and 10 pound test line, we landed our fish.* It wasn't a shark! But I think I solved the mystery of why there have been no blue crabs in the river this season. . . What's YOUR guess?

Reel Class 07-17-2013 03:11 PM

Re: Tons of Sharks in the Shrewsbury River???

I'll bite.

COBIA

joeya78 07-17-2013 03:15 PM

that's crazy! awesome crazy.lol

chrislars 07-17-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reel Class
I'll bite.

COBIA

I was going to say Cobia too because what else fins??

But a crab eater?? DRUM!!

Reel Class 07-17-2013 03:19 PM

from what I know about cobia they do eat crabs -- I could be wrong about that :confused:

bunker dunker 07-17-2013 03:19 PM

Drums???

jmurr711 07-17-2013 03:24 PM

killer whales

Skolmann 07-17-2013 03:39 PM

Cow Nose Rays. You mistook the tips of their wings for the dorsal fin(s) of a shark.

Jigman13 07-17-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skolmann
Cow Nose Rays. You mistook the tips of their wings for the dorsal fin(s) of a shark.

Heavy off of Island Beach not too long ago...

thefishermanmechanic 07-17-2013 04:19 PM

Philly fat mouths?