NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Best Of (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Killer Tangle Free Cod Rig (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8024)

Leif 01-13-2009 09:03 PM

Killer Tangle Free Cod Rig

5 Attachment(s)
No tangle Cod Rig.

I was never an advocate of "Bells and Whistles" When it came to rigs. Especially Cod.
I always used a 2 hook "High Low" rig tied on 60-80lb leader. The 6-10 in snelled 7/0 bait holders were looped through small dropper loops and that was it. If it was a sticky wreck one high hook did the trick. Often those rigs would get stuck and twist/tangle up. Here is a rig I have used with much sucess in New England New York an New Jersey.

Tip. Since there are not tons of Cod around I use the "Last one down is a rotten egg method". Meaning I am ready with bait on to hit the bottom as soon as possible after anchoring. When that Cod sees those grubs and clam on your hook first....you got him! "You snooze you lose"

The Cod are coming back. Hit the Gambler, Jamaica, Jamaica II, Voyager, Golden Eagle or other Sponsor fishing for them. I have caught Cod on most of these boats. If you can't get out now, the Spring should be good too.

This rig works great when there is a current. It does not tangle and it catches Cod.

You can also remove the botom hook and replace it with a smaller hook on a snelled leader for ling.
DISCLAIMER...
CONDITIONS VARY SO NOTHING WORKS PERFECT ALL THE TIME AND I KNOW EVERY COD FISHERMAN HAS THERE FAVORITE RIG.

Materials

7 ft 80-100lb clear Leader
3 230lb Spro swivels
2 8/0 Mustad/Eagle Claw O'Shauhnessy
2 6-8 in Pink Grubs

First open eye of 8/0 hooks and attach swivel, close eye using pliers. The swivels allow the hooks and bait to rotate so the rig will not trist on itself.

Sharpen these hooks!!! I use a dremel to do this because it is fast. Whatever you use make sure the hooks are sharp.

1 Tie a Perfection loop in one end for the sinker
2 Tie a 6in dropper loop 6-8in up from the loop
3 Tie in another Dropper loop 3ft above the first.
4 Attach one Swivel with clinch Knot 6-10 in above last loop
5 Loop hooks on and thread on pink grubs.

Leif

Nukeman 01-13-2009 11:28 PM

Re: Killer Tangle Free Cod Rig

Thanks Leif
Tying some as soon as I get off the board.:D :D

Tin Squid 01-14-2009 06:33 AM

There is another advantage to the rig you are depicting. When the bergalls have stolen all of your bait and you are reeling in to stick your hands in the clam bucket for the 4000th time, do not be surprised if a pollock jumps on one of those grubs. In other words, to those who try this rig, do not be sleeping while reeling this rig in and vary the speed of the retrieve as you may end up with a "bonus pollock"

Nice rig Leif!

Leif 01-14-2009 06:15 PM

Thanks for mentioning that one Tin Squid (Pollock are Prince's but Cod is King)and good luck with the rig making Nukeman.

Leif

Leif 01-14-2009 06:46 PM

Forgot to mention. Tropics on the board makes a great rig so if you are not too good at rig making you might check with him. He has helped me out in the past. Traps1(Sam has the sinkers) No better deal! Also "Harlee Rod" has all the materials at really good prices. (Especially the swivels and leader) Good luck....

Leif

wilboy 01-14-2009 07:47 PM

nice rig but why the swivel on the hook and how do u put it on :confused:

tropics 01-14-2009 07:47 PM

Thanks Leif The help you provide to all its a pleasure to give you some:)

Richie

Leif 01-14-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilboy
nice rig but why the swivel on the hook and how do u put it on :confused:

wilboy,
Thanks for the question and interest. The swivel allows the baited hook to rotate if needed in the current. In doing this the rig will not twist up. When a fish is hooked it helps as well for the same reason.

To add a swivel to the hook:
I use a pair of pliers or Vise Grips to clamp on the eye of the hook and bend it open.(pushing on the hook) Same method to bend it back after the swivel is in place.

This does not work with the Hardened Gamakatsu type hooks. The metal is too hard and the eye will snap.(Unless you heat the eye with a torch, but this is another story.)

Hope this helps,

Leif

wilboy 01-14-2009 08:06 PM

thanks leif that sould help nicly rigs do tend too tang when the line spins

Codguy 01-14-2009 09:19 PM

Very nice rig Leif. Never thought of adding that extra swivel. I was just curious, I have rarely used the cod grubs here in NJ, mostly up North. Do you think they work as good down here? I seem to have better success with a small bright pink or glow barefoot squid down here, and score better with grubs up there.