NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Fluke Rod & Reel for bucktail question (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57207)

Bergen Angler 03-29-2013 09:08 AM

Fluke Rod & Reel for bucktail question

I am a freshwater bass fisherman. I have been to fluke fishing only a few times. What would be the recommended Rod & Reel for bucktail fluke fishing? What would be the recommended weight for bucktail? I remember using 8 oz sinker and it still wasn't enough to hold the bottom.
Thank you.

P.S. Sorry for not being more detailed on my questions.
1. I will be fishing at the Bay.
2. Conventional Reel
3. Price: $200-$400 for both rod & reel.

pcrawf 03-29-2013 04:03 PM

Re: Fluke Rod & Reel for bucktail question

Where are you fishing? How deep? Bay or Ocean

tropics 03-29-2013 04:15 PM

Spinning or Conventional??

LegalEyes 03-29-2013 07:30 PM

As you see, you left it kinda wide open and also didn't talk about cost.

Bucktail weight will always depends on the conditions.

I understand being so north, but take a trip to see pete on your way to a head boat and he will set you up.

Get two setups... light spinning outfit for bucktailing up to 2oz... and a little heavier conventional that can hold that 8oz days. Then fish the conditions.

Add some more info, you'll get a better answer.

LegalEyes 03-29-2013 07:33 PM

Btw... Don't forget to practice your underhand casting.

TomKaye 03-31-2013 09:56 AM

Some of your fresh water equipment will suffice in the back of Raritan Bay,or on the flats inside the hook etc.......

Take some down with you & stop in at Pete's on the way to AH party boats.
I'm certain he can steer you right with terminal tackle and a new set-up or two if necessary.

arat 05-01-2013 09:39 AM

I would go with a shimano inshore trevalla rod. rating determined by the jig weight you want. most guys pair them with a shimano curado 300EJ awesome jigging combo super light but extremely powerful. if you get the 50-80lb 6'3'' you can jig 8-10oz bucktails with no issues all day long. In my opinion it is probably the single best rod for buctailing on the market today

frugalfisherman 05-02-2013 04:42 PM

Drag bait on a party boat. Check out the guys jigging AND catching. Ask them for advice.

MVP 05-03-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergen Angler
I am a freshwater bass fisherman. I have been to fluke fishing only a few times. What would be the recommended Rod & Reel for bucktail fluke fishing? What would be the recommended weight for bucktail? I remember using 8 oz sinker and it still wasn't enough to hold the bottom.
Thank you.

P.S. Sorry for not being more detailed on my questions.
1. I will be fishing at the Bay.
2. Conventional Reel
3. Price: $200-$400 for both rod & reel.

Bergan Angler

Feel free to give me a call as I have as I have quite alot of tackle that I am looking to get rid of to raise money for friend. I can get you into two really nice set ups both conventional, spinning including bucktails/ teasers withen your budget. I live in cranford so it might be worth you time to come by and take a look and i can answer most of your questions.

Alex
MVP
201-741-1823

Poseidon 03-22-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arat (Post 304902)
I would go with a shimano inshore trevalla rod. rating determined by the jig weight you want. most guys pair them with a shimano curado 300EJ awesome jigging combo super light but extremely powerful. if you get the 50-80lb 6'3'' you can jig 8-10oz bucktails with no issues all day long. In my opinion it is probably the single best rod for buctailing on the market today

That's pretty much what I have. Mine is the Shimano Trevala TVC-66MH 6'6" Medium heavy power and Medium fast action. Will take braided line 50-100lbs. I use 50# Powder Pro on an Abu Garcia 10000I Big Game reel. The pole and reel cost about $250.

I also have a Shimano Trevala TVS-66MH Medium heavy power and Medium fast action. Will also take braided line 50-100lbs. This pole has a Van Staal VM 150 with 50# test Power Pro on it.