NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Best Of (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Small Boat - Hudson Canyon (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24070)

Footballtuna 06-29-2010 03:59 PM

Re: Small Boat - Hudson Canyon

Thank you all for the information. I do have an Epirb on the boat. I also think I can squeeze 228 gallons of fuel if I bring all my tanks. In flat water I manage 3.3 MPG at 24kts. The opti are pretty good on fuel. The weather is everything for my little craft. If I have ant doubts i may try shark at the glory but the water will most likely be the same. but it is closer inshore.

Capt Sal 06-29-2010 04:00 PM

Discretion Is The Better Part Of Valor !!!

mboy 06-29-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmarguy
good luck!! I have been out there in a 21ft cc about 3 years ago. It was 4-6s and blowin 15-20, it was not fun, but twe had 5 yellows on the troll and it made the trip well worth it. It is a hard trip with no sleeping area, but still had a good time and would do it again. As long as you have twins you can go because of the back up. But definately be careful and have fun, your time seems to fit the same time we had. Good luck, cathem up.

What make 21cc and what size external tanks did you bring?

I own a 21' CC and their is no way it has enough gas to safely make it one way to the canyon from SH.

sportfishingusa 06-29-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Footballtuna
Thank you all for the information. I do have an Epirb on the boat. I also think I can squeeze 228 gallons of fuel if I bring all my tanks. In flat water I manage 3.3 MPG at 24kts. The opti are pretty good on fuel. The weather is everything for my little craft. If I have ant doubts i may try shark at the glory but the water will most likely be the same. but it is closer inshore.

Just do me a favor and remember like most dont, if your worried about fuel, dont worry and dont go!!

There is not only more fuel consumption in a head sea, but also a head wind and side wind and not to mention the current.. when you troll you dont burn much, but turn into the wind and take it on the chin and i bet that 3.3 goes to about .5

MasterBaiter 06-29-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mboy
Actually, if they had cut the anchor line they would prob still be alive.

Yeah,

"That to"...morons didn't want to lose an anchor...can you imagine

gradyfish265 06-29-2010 04:19 PM

back up might sound good, but you won't have room for the needed gear for an offshore canyon trip as well as shark trip, I've done it and on my boat its tight and I refuse to do it anymore...its one or the other, and if we cant get in the intended trip as planned we probably shouldn't be going anywhere offshore and should wait until its in reach. Watch the weather, Thursdays report and Sat both got a little worse so that leaves potential for Fri to be worse then forcasted originally, bt then again it could turn back the other way just keep any eye out and be safe and like I said watch the texas tower weather bouy for actual sea conditions, thats always your best report. As soon as the water pushes closer and makes the run more worthwhile I will be making the run to the canyon regularly so if I'm heading out your more then welcome to run along side me, I cruise at 24-26kts depending on conditions so we could keep up fairly well. I also have autopilot so following me will keep you on course a lot easier. Running without ones a nightmare...especially at night...been there done that...never ever again!!

Basspond 06-29-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mboy
What make 21cc and what size external tanks did you bring?

I own a 21' CC and their is no way it has enough gas to safely make it one way to the canyon from SH.

21 contenders come standard with 90 and now offer I believe 105.

penn50w 06-29-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Footballtuna
I am looking to try my 1st canyon run this Friday in my small boat. I have been to the Chicken and Glory several times. I was caught at the glory once and took a beating on the ride in.

24 ft center with twin 135 Optis.
radar
C120 nav
handheld nav backup
life raft
offshore jackets
2 radios + a handheld
sat phone
210 gallons fuel
7 rods 50s & 30s
I plan on trolling daisys and spreaders
I plan on leaving Monmonth Cove around 3:30 A.M. with a planed return around 6:00 P.M.
any advice? Numbers? what to troll and where? What com channel out there?
Thanks all

Bryan

Bryan, I'm on your dock across and down a few boats in the downeaster. With the storms that have been blowing up recently is enough reason alone not to go. If you have satellite weather, it still would be chancy in your boat. If you are running with another boat, then maybe at best. Being 80 - 90 miles off in your boat is very gutsy. I would call the Coast Guard and give them your plan or at least give someone else your info just in case. If you don't have a satellite phone, remember your radio isn't going to be much use that far out in an emergency unless there are other boats monitoring your distress call. Be safe, be smart and good luck if you decide to go. Penn

NoWorries 06-29-2010 05:32 PM

Used to do this on a Mako 25 with twin carbed 140's. Did it quite a few times. Leaving at 3:30 from the dock you will have time to evaluate weather at key times during the trip. If you feel good about night running leave earlier and go slower. Tackle wise bring lots of back-ups. Those big-eyes are nasty and can wipe out several rods/reels in one shot. Seen it first hand ! Bona 4 TUNA :D

chiavarini jr 06-29-2010 06:38 PM

I would make sure you have a great forecast for a three day window and bring the rosary beads.