NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   FURUNCULOSIS again in our trout!! (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67211)

Polelock 02-20-2014 10:59 AM

FURUNCULOSIS again in our trout!!

Anyone else aware of this?

From F&G....
Quote:

We are still dealing with furunuculosis within part the production facility. Our B line brook trout have been treated again and are showing no mortalities. BNT in the G and H lines are being treated with antibiotics at the present time and mortalities are decreasing.
These fish are treated with Sulfamerazine & Terramycin.. Antibiotics that i do not want to ingest.... From I've heard, these sick fish will be stocked this year... Last years batch of sick fish were destroyed.. Have the fishing public been made aware? Why are these being stocked? Why are we introducing this disease into our waterways? Too many unanswered questions here...

Here is a good read on Furunuculosis.. http://www.glfc.org/pubs/SpecialPubs...pdf/chap25.pdf

Can this disease affect other species of fish?

AndyS 02-20-2014 11:40 AM

Re: FURUNCULOSIS again in our trout!!

Rumors are going around that there won't be any trout stocking this year :eek:

I say it's time the feds stepped in on this one.

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/njfieldoffice/index.html

They have been awfully quiet through all this.

Polelock 02-20-2014 12:09 PM

Having a tough time believing they would actually stock these fish Andy!!!!!

Jigman13 02-20-2014 12:23 PM

I'm wondering if any of the sick fish are finding their way into the river now up by the TCA on the Pequest. I saw some fish the last time I was up there with some interesting damage on them--I wasn't sure if they were wounds from birds and animals though. I'm def not a biologist, though.

acaravaglia 02-20-2014 12:36 PM

I say the state starts doing population control on all of these birds praying on these trout. It if they're not infesting the hatchery with deases, they are eating all of the stocked trout in ponds. Bunch of bull shit if you ask me. Wait till some of these virus are spread into other lakes / streams and starts infecting other species.

UglyStick 02-20-2014 12:48 PM

I'm far from being an ichthyologist, but an outbreak of furunculosis in an operating hatchery isn't simply a matter of destroying some fish and moving on. Short of removing all the fish, draining and sterilizing the entire facility, it takes a much greater master plan to combat it including everything from keeping birds away from the raceways to antibiotic treatments to obtaining more resistant strains of trout to whatever and can take quite awhile. In an attempt to avoid a complete shutdown that would mean no trout for possibly a few years, F&W (who has an on staff pathologist) are doing everything they can to mitigate the problem while still being able to produce stockable trout even if it means less fish for a period of time.

F&W is aware of the spring stocking schedule and needs to see how their mitigation plan plays out before being able to make any final decisions for the season. They have been very clear to this end discussing the topic and answering all relevant questions at their public forums noting that it will likely be right before the spring stocking period before any final decisions can be made.

From recent updates, it seems that the rainbows, which are much more naturally resistant to furunculosis, are OK. The issue remains with the brookies and browns but does appear to be improving due to the treatments (which is evidenced by the initial quote in this post).

They are fully aware of any and all risks and have no intention of stocking fish that could pose a threat to either humans or the environment. Trust that they know what they're doing and we'll know the conclusion when they know it. I'm not sure what the go / no go date is but it must be sometime in the next few weeks.

FASTEDDIE29 02-20-2014 05:03 PM

Is there enough funds to possibly get trout from another state or would that cause problems and put accounts in the negative? HMMMMMM, there's still trout to catch in alot of streams but not stocking would just be brutal for many anglers. I'm sure the great people at F&G will fix the problem. I have nothing but faith in them.

EJS 02-22-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 (Post 345543)
Is there enough funds to possibly get trout from another state or would that cause problems and put accounts in the negative? HMMMMMM, there's still trout to catch in alot of streams but not stocking would just be brutal for many anglers. I'm sure the great people at F&G will fix the problem. I have nothing but faith in them.

I was wondering the same thing! Since we can't seem to produce healthy trout here, maybe we should close down that archaic museum quality hatchery and simply bring in the fish from out of state!

West Virginia, one of the poorest states in the nation, has a state of the art hatchery! We are still using concrete raceways with a link to an active river ecosystem! Seriously, where is the money going, where is the accountability?

Having diseased fish in a controlled environment is unacceptable! Having multiple years of diseased fish, well that's simply incompetent! Incompetence should lead to unemployment, especially in this situation!

I purchase a yearly out of state license with trout stamp! I expect what is promised, and 4 weeks of stocking is not acceptable!

AndyS 02-22-2014 07:05 PM

I like using the chain of command.

Next, take it to the Feds, I see they are busy planting trees. No help there, we go to US Fish and Wildlife in Washington DC and see what they have to say about all of this.

The New Jersey Field Office, located in Pleasantville, Atlantic County, implements the US Fish & Wildlife Service's Ecological Services program throughout New Jersey and its territorial waters. The US Fish & Wildlife Service is a bureau within the US Department of the Interior with the mission of "working with others to conserve, protect, and enhance fish, wildlife, plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people."

Wilson 02-22-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyS (Post 345689)
I like using the chain of command.

Next, take it to the Feds, I see they are busy planting trees. No help there, we go to US Fish and Wildlife in Washington DC and see what they have to say about all of this.

The New Jersey Field Office, located in Pleasantville, Atlantic County, implements the US Fish & Wildlife Service's Ecological Services program throughout New Jersey and its territorial waters. The US Fish & Wildlife Service is a bureau within the US Department of the Interior with the mission of "working with others to conserve, protect, and enhance fish, wildlife, plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people."

They used to say that a quarter will get you a cup of coffee.
Now it's $4.00 but the answer is the same;)