NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Info requested about a good set up for stripers (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87917)

Goin Fishin 05-02-2016 04:39 PM

Info requested about a good set up for stripers

As a recently retired guy, I am looking to increase my time on the water. I want to get in on the striper fishing this Spring and need some guidance on the proper gear to use on a party/charter boat and for surf casting. Any info that you can offer relative to rods, reels, lines, etc. will be appreciated. Thanks because I plan on Goin Fishin!

Gerry Zagorski 05-03-2016 03:27 PM

Re: Info requested about a good set up for stripers

Sounds like you want a muti use rod for surf and boat. For this reason I would reccomend a Shimano Bait Runner 8000 or 6500 and minimum 7 foot matching spinning rod medium or medium heavy rated for 20 -30 pound line. The reason I like the bait runner is becuase you can use it for casting plugs and jigs as well as for live lining, chunking or clamming since it has the bait runner feature.

If you are going to fish with braided line I would go with the 6500, if mono you will need to go with the 8000 to get more line capacity.

Penn sells what they call Live Lining models which is the same thing as bait runner in their Spinfisher Series so you can check them out as well.

Your likely to be spending a few hundred bucks on this set up so I would go to one of our sponsors and check them out in person and choose a rod that balances to your reel of choice... It's very important that it does balance well if your are going to be holding the rod and casting a lot.

I would also have them spool the reel with braid since braid casts way better then mono and for surf fishing that's important and you can always tie on a mono top shot.

Goin Fishin 05-03-2016 08:24 PM

Thanks for the info. Very thorough. I appreciate your assistance and I will purchase from the sponsors. Thanks again.

Ryelof 05-06-2016 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski (Post 444200)
Sounds like you want a muti use rod for surf and boat. For this reason I would reccomend a Shimano Bait Runner 8000 or 6500 and minimum 7 foot matching spinning rod medium or medium heavy rated for 20 -30 pound line. The reason I like the bait runner is becuase you can use it for casting plugs and jigs as well as for live lining, chunking or clamming since it has the bait runner feature.

If you are going to fish with braided line I would go with the 6500, if mono you will need to go with the 8000 to get more line capacity.

Penn sells what they call Live Lining models which is the same thing as bait runner in their Spinfisher Series so you can check them out as well.

Your likely to be spending a few hundred bucks on this set up so I would go to one of our sponsors and check them out in person and choose a rod that balances to your reel of choice... It's very important that it does balance well if your are going to be holding the rod and casting a lot.

I would also have them spool the reel with braid since braid casts way better then mono and for surf fishing that's important and you can always tie on a mono top shot.

I can agree with our fearless leader for the most part......however I would recommend you check Kevin Bogan and a Fish Poison mh or a Jersey Coast Jersey Jigger rod, both outstanding.

Matt_Conway71 12-14-2016 05:45 AM

Great info here, thanks!

Anthony 12-14-2016 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goin Fishin (Post 444019)
As a recently retired guy, I am looking to increase my time on the water. I want to get in on the striper fishing this Spring and need some guidance on the proper gear to use on a party/charter boat and for surf casting. Any info that you can offer relative to rods, reels, lines, etc. will be appreciated. Thanks because I plan on Goin Fishin!

this spring i picked up the Okuma avenger bait runner spinning reel size 40. so far a great reel for the price. I may pick up another of the larger size.

june181901 12-14-2016 10:16 PM

Always consider the weight of any reel. As you get older the weight gets very important the longer you fish especially in the surf. A 22 ounce reel is great if you are in your 30s but as you get older lighter often gets better.
I am well past my salad days and a 5000 type reel is more than enough for me now.