NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Salmon River 11/3-11/8 Steelhead (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65296)

15FOOTER 11-10-2013 10:57 AM

Salmon River 11/3-11/8 Steelhead

10 Attachment(s)
Bunch of us fished the Salmon River this past week. Fishing was a bit below average because of a constant release from the reservoir. The flow stayed at about 1900 for the week and they were only lowering it to 1400 on the last day Friday 11/8. First day out we had my friend Doug (never fished for steelies or salmon before) and the 2 other usuals Seth and Brian. We had 2 hook ups(Seth and Doug) no landing and that was the action for the whole day (4:30am-5pm) and we were really worried due to the height of the water. So since Doug had only 1 day left and we had to at least get him to feel a fish to get him addicted we headed out to a creek to see if there were some kings around from a late run. Well there were and Doug nailed 3 landed one and got his first Pulaski fish. Went back to the room and everyone wanted to call it quits but we got motivated somehow :cool: and headed out for the evening bite. I was net man/detangler for Doug so I hadn't fished much to this point so I jumped in the river and whammo first cast steelie, nice fight then brought him to the net and I was happy. Got Doug in the water and all on his own first cast using a 10ft rod hooks and lands his first steelie. As hes doing that Seth hooks in and it was game on till dark. Hopefully Doug left happy and addicted (everyone from the trip has the flu now) so I have not talked to anyone. The rest of the week fishing was good in the morning slow pick afternoon and at its hottest just before dark. 90% of all the fish caught were right in tucked by the bank. We were all using 10-11ft spinning rods with 8lb test and 4-6lb leader with our homemade egg sacs. We made the salmon bite on our flies with fly rods lol. Fishing should be perfect up there any day now. River was loaded with fish there was just so much water they were really spread out. Good luck guys!

Fishon1982 11-10-2013 12:02 PM

Re: Salmon River 11/3-11/8 Steelhead

Awesome job

iceehot6766 11-10-2013 12:34 PM

Great fishing!!!!

FASTEDDIE29 11-10-2013 12:41 PM

Great catching Gary and crew, despite the high water levels. Man I wish I couldve joined you guys for a day or two. All the tribs are loaded up now! Magic eggsacs are the BOMB!!! Nice looking Chrome fellas!!! TIGHT LINEZ!!!

bigboy5522 11-10-2013 02:15 PM

Nice fish!! I was up fri and sat with not much luck but happened to land one brown. Was wondering what part of the river you fished? Im assuming upper?

Mikey topaz 11-10-2013 03:35 PM

Good stuff guys nice fish glad to hear doug got into some pulaski fish!!!! Was up there last wknd with the fly and spey rod just could not get a decent drift with the water up so high me ding the crap outta ur line was like pissin in the wind lol guys with spinning rods were pickin at them but not as good as you nice work fellas!

15FOOTER 11-10-2013 04:19 PM

Thanks guys it was a good week. I think the thill floats and light line was what helped. Bigboy we were way up river just under fly zone below altmar bridge. That was where most of our fish came from. Fish left side of river if ur standing on bridge facing downstream in the 2 dugouts. Mikey catfish and sandy were filled and fly guys were nailing them.