NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Summer Foul-Weather Gear? (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79471)

jjdbike 05-16-2015 07:39 AM

Summer Foul-Weather Gear?

Hi guys
Wondering what water-proof foul-weather gear you guys are wearing off-shore from late spring to early fall?
Are the white Grundens bibs & jacket stiil the preferred option?
Are there lighter, more comfortable, perhpas breathable options now?
Any and all input greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
JD

Sharkyispy 05-17-2015 03:42 AM

Re: Summer Foul-Weather Gear?

Grundens is always a standard good choice. Columbia also makes a bib more like you are looking for in the breathable version. I use Carhartt's which have held up great for me for several years now and run a little less than the Grundens...

MrAC1980 05-17-2015 04:37 AM

Grundens are a little heavy for summer use for my liking. Carhartt (R79) and Helly Hansen make a lighter version and both are a lot cheaper then Grundens. Color I think is a personal choice, but yes white is "in style" i guess you can say right now, lol.

jjdbike 05-19-2015 05:24 AM

Thanks guys.

I was sold on the Gage until I read some recent reports and reviews.

First I was reminded that breathables only breathe when they are clean (see above, thanks) and that they are harder to clean than PVC/Rubber.

Next I read that Gage aren’t water-proof. A local tackle shop reports that they struggle to sty dry in a down poor or even leaning against a wet surface. They go on to write that Gage should not be the go-to when going off-shore. For light-weight water-proof they recomend Grundens Petrus series as several of you did above.

While they couldn’t be as light and cool as Gage, I’m leaning towards Petrus based on these issues. I figure in a warm intermittent light drizzel & or spray I’ll just get wet, change my clothes when it stops or on the way in. In steady down-poor or chilly sloppy conditions I want water-proof.

On the otherhand I am thinking about what MrAC wrote above. I have owned the Carhartt and shredded them. Are the Helly Hansen versions you’re reffering to the “Impertech” bibs?

Your thoughts?

Thanks again!

JD

MrAC1980 05-19-2015 11:38 AM

The carhartts I had lasted me a probably 4-5 seasons before they started to wear and get holes in the seams, corners, etc. I just got the HH ones mainly because they came in white vs the carhartts that only come typically in green and orange. If you're not in a rush I can check this weekend what model they are when I get down to the boat.

Sharkyispy 05-21-2015 05:21 AM

I must be fortunate, my Carhartt's are now 8+ years old and lasting great! Wear then frequently and clean after each wear. AND, best of all I can still fit into them after all these years of ups and downs body sizing!! I do like the fact that they are not as heavy as others and waterproof is not an issue....