NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Party boat striper setup (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45490)

Frenchie 04-12-2012 07:49 PM

Party boat striper setup

Hey guys

I am rigging up for stripers on a party boat. I have 50 lb braid on and wanted to know how heavy I should go on the mono top shot at well as how heavy of a line I should use to snell my hook. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

SaltLife1980 04-12-2012 11:39 PM

Re: Party boat striper setup

Id use 30lbs mono or floro for your shock leader.. Then i have been using 15 or 20lbs mono as my leader to my hook.. Around 2 feet.. To a swivel.. Then a bead and fish finder weight set up..

good set up! Good luck! Hope you catch em!

Rich Pfish 04-15-2012 12:37 PM

I can't think of any reason for putting braid on. Once you get passed the top shot you are looking for trouble on a party boat. Tangles will happen and the mates will most likely just cut the braid.

I would go with 20lb mono and then fluorocarbon leader.

SaltLife1980 04-15-2012 05:36 PM

Only some times in a blue moon do the mates cut peoples braid.. Never had an issue.. Extreme tangles then yes.,. mite happen..

Frenchie 04-16-2012 01:01 PM

I keep the braid on as a hold over from togging and cod fishing. I hate having to re-line my reel just go after stripers and braid is definitely not cheap to be throwing away after each fish season.

I went with the 30lb mono top shot and did well on saturday. got my three keepers on Saturday using Krocs (had a bonus permit).

The 30 lb mono seemed to work really well.

SaltLife1980 04-16-2012 03:08 PM

Sometimes the larger leader to hook wont work.. they seem to see it or something.. other day on the water.. if u didnt have 15 or 20lbs mono to your hook you were not catching crap.. 30lbs for your shock leader and 15 -20 to hook is best..

good luck

Jay 04-16-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie
I keep the braid on as a hold over from togging and cod fishing. I hate having to re-line my reel just go after stripers and braid is definitely not cheap to be throwing away after each fish season.

I went with the 30lb mono top shot and did well on saturday. got my three keepers on Saturday using Krocs (had a bonus permit).

The 30 lb mono seemed to work really well.

I hear you, all of my reels have braid. Your right, it's not cheap. Just make sure, you put enough top shot. You'll should be fine.

TomKaye 04-16-2012 06:15 PM

Jay---- How much is enough top shot ?
My typical set-up when clamming is :
50lb braid----albright knot to go thru guides, then to 6-10 ft of 30 lb mono--( is that okay )
then fish finder rig, then swivel---then 4 to 6 ft of 17 or 20lb flouro snelled to a 5/0 or 7/0 octopus. Is that too many connections ?

Never had a problem when I fish my own boat, but will be doing more party boats this year due to engine issues. Appreciate input.

Salt life----- I go bigger than the 2 ft leader you described as I'm convinced the stripers see the fish finder rig only 2 feet away. Just my opinion.

Tight lines gentlemen.
Tom K.

SaltLife1980 04-16-2012 11:11 PM

Its hard to cast with a super long leader like that.. i can whip it pretty good and keep bait on with around 2 feet of 15-20 mono.. i know what you are saying but if your let a little extra line out once you get to bottom and the current isnt ripping, your bait ends up being further away from the weight since it will slide through the fish finder rig.

TomKaye 04-17-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltLife1980
Its hard to cast with a super long leader like that.. i can whip it pretty good and keep bait on with around 2 feet of 15-20 mono.. i know what you are saying but if your let a little extra line out once you get to bottom and the current isnt ripping, your bait ends up being further away from the weight since it will slide through the fish finder rig.

Good point--with a 4 ft leader, I can flip underhand, maybe 20 yards tops, and I have sometime lost a bait.
I'll try the shorter leader next time. Thanks